Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.S. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Any Long Islanders? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=146571)

Janey Mon, Nov-03-03 13:19

Any Long Islanders?

I know this has been posted before..but I'm still kind of new here.

I would love to find some buddies that are near me. I'm in Huntington, Long Island, NY.

Anybody out there?

wordlady Thu, Nov-27-03 08:23

Hey there!!!
I'm out East in Southampton. I'd love to do an evening dinner with a bunch here sometime. Hopefully, more will respond ;-)

EET Sat, Nov-29-03 15:00

Restaurants

I am looking for restaurants in Suffolk County that cater to low carb diets. I was told that "Ruby Tuesday's" lets you know the carb count on some of its menu items. Someone mentioned that there was a restaurant in the Miller Place area that also does the low carb thing.

Does anyone know if this restaurant exists or if other ones are on Long Island?

I go into the city fairly frequently, so locations of NY City restaurants will also be helpful to me.

Thanks everyone.

Milhafre Sun, Nov-30-03 15:55

EET,

For a special occasion, you could try Ola, on 48th bet. 1st and 2nd. The chef, Douglas Rodriguez, has been on Atkins, and there are a number of Atkins-friendly items on the menu - specifically marked as such. Instead of bread, they serve complimentary olives. There are even a couple of low-carb desserts. I haven't been, but I've heard it's good. Entrées are supposed to be in the $20 range.

Sorry I can't be of help for places on Long Island.

Milhafre

Ola

Janey Tue, Dec-02-03 14:45

I find the best places to eat are diners. You can get whatever you want, whenever you want. I've been to Ruby Tuesday's and they're ok. Kind of high carb on some of the items and the food isn't cheap.

Any steak or seafood place is another good option.

Maybe we could get together some day for a LC meeting? LOL

EET Tue, Dec-02-03 21:40

Yes, I agree, diners, steak and seafood restaurants are the easiest. I was hoping that some more elegant restaurants would be willing to cater to the low carb life style.

I know that many of the supermarkets are beginning to have low carb sections and the Atkins Outlet store is near the Islip airport. However, someone told me that there is a new store in Ronkonkoma's "five corners" area which has lots of low carb products. I rode by there, but could not find the store. Has anyone else heard of this new store and maybe know the name of it?

Janey Wed, Dec-03-03 06:42

I haven't heard of that store, but there are stores popping up all over the place. There's a new one in Huntington, another opening soon in Commack on Jericho Turnpike and still another one that's near the Fairway Supermarket. I recently went into the Huntington store. Wow were they expensive! It was just not even conceivable that I would buy these products. I even commented to the owner and she didn't care. I guess she knows most people are willing to pay anything for LC products.

Trader Joe's is a great place for LC products. Lately they really have been trying to stock up on great stuff. And their prices are more reasonable.

Where on Long Island do you live, EET? I'm in Huntington and grew up in Garden City.

EET Fri, Dec-05-03 15:06

A friend of mine found the store in Ronkonkoma! I haven't been there yet (didn't stop on the way home from work due to the snow).

The store is called "Low Carb Connection" 600 Portion Rd Ronkonkoma (phone=631-981-0882). I will try to get there this weekend or on Monday afternoon and report back to you all!

EET Mon, Dec-08-03 20:08

I went to the store. It has only been opened for 3 weeks. It doesn't have a lot of stock, but it does have a little of every type of product. I bought some crackers made by "Cheeters" 3crackers=1carb. They taste like the "Andre's" crackers but less carbs. I also bought "Nutrawize" bread. Much much much better than the Atkins Brand and also only 1 carb for 1 slice.

EET Wed, Jan-21-04 18:27

New Store in Commack

New Store in Commack (Viva Low Carb). Its on the south side of Jericho Turnpike between Commack Road and Larkfield Road. The store has lots of stock, lots of different types of products. The prices were better there than in the store in Ronkonkoma.

I also have had the occasion to eat at both TGI FRIDAY'S and RUBY TUESDAY'S. Both gave carb counts on the menu. Ruby Tuesday's cauliflower (fake mashed potatoes) were excellent and I do not generally like mashed potatoeszz.

Good luck all. :yay: