Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cookies - Coconut Macaroons: OK guys cant keep this one a secret much longer !! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=145891)

Rob Thu, Oct-30-03 13:33

Coconut Macaroons: OK guys cant keep this one a secret much longer !!

This recipe makes delish coconut maccaroons . Carb count 1 g per cookie

Heat oven to 160 Deg C

This quantity makes 20 maccaroons

4 egg whites
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
few drops almond oil
1 cup AS
5 drops liquid sweetner
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 cups unsweetened dessicated coconut

beat whites to stiff peaks
add sweeteners and flavouring .
beat whites to make meringue
fold in ground almonds , salt and coconut

mixture should slacken off by now .

drop big teaspoon fulls onto a baking tray

bake for 20 minutes and leave to cool in oven

a yummy treat/pick- me -up with a mid morning cup of coffee :thup:

Rob

grannycraf Wed, Nov-05-03 19:30

This sounds wonderful! I have this coconut that I haven't managed to open yet and this gives me the impetus I need to hammer away at it--literally.

By the way, where do you get unsweetened coconut?

Rob Thu, Nov-06-03 11:39

unsweetened shredded coconut

comes from any store , I found mine in the baking section , but I suppose you could get it in a health food store , be careful that there is no sugar added .

They are yummy , make sure you use fresh egg white in order to get a real stiff meringue .

Good luck

Julie10 Thu, Nov-06-03 12:29

This sounds good.....What is the one cup of AS?....I don't know what "AS" is?...Also, is your liquid sweetner Stevia?....Julie

Rob Thu, Nov-06-03 15:44

AS is artificial sweetener in powder form

I use cyclamate liquid sweetener but you can use anything .

LoveSong Thu, Nov-06-03 23:02

Hi Rob :)

This recipe looks wonderful--and macaroons are one of my very favorite things!

Could I use DaVinci french vanilla syrup in place of the liquid sweetener? and perhaps leave out the vanilla if I did that? DaVinci is sweetened with Splenda, and I would rather use that than other AS's.

thanks for the recipe... can't wait to try it :)

~Debbie~LoveSong~

:daizy:

surfnmom Fri, Nov-07-03 09:59

OMG
I have to try this, and I just got a brain stormmm. I just made up the peanut butter cups, SOOOOOO I was just thinking about making these, putting them in a cup cake paper and pour the Peanut Butter cup stuff over them yummmmmm,

Oh thank you for the recipe, My recipe collection is growing by leaps and bounds. I haven't had the urge to really cook in over a year, now I find myself setting up my kichten to have everything handy to run and try every new recipe. I only have one draw back, I am still only doing 20 carbs a day, soooo after I cook It I test it out on the kids, and put me some away for the next day LOL. If it past the kid test then it's got to be good. :)

Rob Fri, Nov-07-03 13:55

Lovesong ,

I'm sure that Davinci syrup would be just fine but the meringue would not be very stiff and I was amazed how stiff it gets with splenda . I am sure it would be ok , just try it out . They should come out nice and fluffy looking with a crusty exterior and a soft interior .

I once used dried egg white and it was not as nice because the meringue was not stiff enough .

Rob Fri, Nov-07-03 14:01

Surfinmom,
I like the way you use your kids as the guinea pigs :lol:

seriously , you should not stay on 20 grams for too long There is no benefit to be had by doing that , you will find that you begin to loose quicker if you eat more carbs . You should not be afraid of going up to 30 grams at least .

Rob

obiwan9962 Fri, Nov-07-03 22:03

recipe sounds awesome

tammy39 Mon, Dec-15-03 01:01

wanted to put this one back on the front page so i can find it easy, cant wait too try this one!! thx rob

golflady59 Mon, Dec-15-03 09:10

I have been looking for this. Back to the front page with this. Can't wait to try. :)

quibbers Tue, Dec-16-03 05:46

Made these for my son's concert reception. I still have not found unsweetened coconut (hey-this is west texas!) but even with the Baker's sweetened, they are still just 5C/Tbs. I figure that's 2 cookies. Mine were pretty "blobbish" looking, but they ate just fine ;)

BTW- I get the oven temp as 320 F. Can you edit the main recipe for us non metrics? Thanks.

golflady59 Tue, Dec-16-03 19:53

Original recipe says bake at 160 degrees C. Is this correct. Want to try these. Thanks

golflady59 Tue, Dec-16-03 19:53

Sorry or is it farenheit?