Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Short Term Challenge: No Halloween Candy (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=145470)

NickFender Tue, Oct-28-03 14:05

Short Term Challenge: No Halloween Candy

Here's a challenge to all low-carbers who find themselves with bags of candy stuck in a cupboard somewhere, waiting for trick-or-treaters.

It's easy to join, just make the pledge to skip the candy and eat NOT A SINGLE PIECE.

I'm expecting about 300 little visitors on Friday night, so I've got about 5 lbs. of tempting treats in my pantry. So far, the bags are still intact and I aim to keep it that way.

Is anybody with me?

NickFender Wed, Oct-29-03 11:48

C'mon folks, this one's easy! Just pledge your allegiance to a candy-free Halloween, then come back next week to report your success.

bubu Wed, Oct-29-03 11:53

loll Nick
I'm in .......not gettin that many, but my plan is to turn lights off right after I give the rest away.
As far as my own low carbing daughter.....I got some endulge p-butter bars...will cut them up wrap individually then send her outside....and everytime she knocks I'll plop on in her mouth HEHE...

fishie48 Wed, Oct-29-03 12:20

I'm in but tomorrow I'm loading up on low-carb chocolate bars so I have an alternative when I'm looking at the big bowl of chocolate bars.

sjkling Wed, Oct-29-03 12:26

i'm in on this one! i need to report to someone, otherwise i might be sorely tempted! i hope you'll allow me an atkins mint wafer bar? if so, i'm sure i can say no to all the other stuff!

NickFender Wed, Oct-29-03 17:12

Just to clarify, LC candy is A-ok for this challenge, but be sensible folks, we all know what happens when we eat too many Endulge PB Cups!

Now, I'm going to try soemthing a little more drastic to get more people to join....

If we don't have 20 people in this challenge by 5 p.m. Friday, I'm going of eat an entire 5 lb. bag of those little mini candy bars. You don't want THAT on your conscience, do you? So take the pledge and save me from gluttony!

bubu Wed, Oct-29-03 17:51

I'll take the pledge to join you in EATING that bag....lol.....NOOOOOOOT

DusterCat Wed, Oct-29-03 18:01

Hey, guitar-man, hold off on that 5-lb. bag of mini candy bars - I'm in! Several of us over in the Triple Digits Fitness Challenge were talking about Halloween, which has always been a dangerous time for me. Someone said they were giving out pencils instead of candy, but if I were a kid I wouldn't be thrilled with that! I just bought my candy today (caramels, tootsie pops, individually wrapped Oreos) - I tried to get edible things, but NOT chocolate, which is a serious weakness of mine.

Mossling Wed, Oct-29-03 21:55

I'm in. I'm not even buying the candy this year--I've asked my DS to do it tomorrow [and to get the stuff I don't like, anyway!] We don't usually have a lot of kids come through, due to where we live, but I always have to have something on hand just in case. (I can remember years when I bought the FIRST set of "just in case" candies in early September...and then another set about once every 10 days. No, my husband and kids didn't eat them. Hmmm--I wonder who did?) :lol:

Must admit I bought two giant bags of baby lollipops (dum-dums and mini tootsie pops) for my classroom. They don't tempt me at all, but if there were chocolate there...

Jude

rosemam Wed, Oct-29-03 22:05

Hey i'm in....don't go eating that 5 lb. bag without me. lol. This will not be difficult for me at all because i love in a dorm (college student), therefore i won't be having any little trick-or-treaters. but boy oh boy is that candy row at the grocery store tempting. and all the yummy seasonal cupcakes and cookies in my cafateria. but i will overcome the desires and just say no.

TerryLynne Thu, Oct-30-03 08:41

Count me in! No Candy in my Mouth!!! My son's football team has a playoff game Fri night so we won't be handing out candy. That'll make it easy for me, but wanted to respond so you wouldn't have eat that 5lb bag of candy. My conscience is clear :p

NickFender Thu, Oct-30-03 12:31

Now that's more like it! Thanks to those who have joined. We need a few more people to join to save me from a night of gluttony. Please help!

And don't forget to report back next week.

Mizree Thu, Oct-30-03 12:38

I am in for the challange!! I haven't bought any candy, since I will be out with my kids while they get theirs. So my hard time comes after we get home!

My goal is to dodge it all afterwards until they have eaten it all. I am sure it won't be too hard to convince them to eat it all fast! The older kids bring it to school so it disappears pretty quick, my 4 year old however isn't allowed full candy access so I have to give it to him.

I am thinking about bringing some to work and letting everyone there eat it up. I would much rather he eat yogurt and "good for him" stuff.

rishamoon Thu, Oct-30-03 15:28

I bought candy yesterday. A bag of Smarties, a bag of Mary Jane PB treats, and a bag of Tootsie rolls. I wasn't going to get the Tootsie rolls, because they are an old weakness of mine, but I promised the 4 year old she could help pick out candy and she picked them... LOL funny thing is... SHE HATES THEM. *sigh*

I have no idea how many trick or treaters we will get, as this is my first halloween here. But we do have a fair amount of kids in the neighborhood.

I'm planning on taking the kiddo around early, then coming back and handing out stuff... if she gets TOO much stuff while we are out, I can always filter some of it right back out the door! She will never know, LOL.

Today she brought home a small treat bag from preschool... and there is a caramel in there... Goddess but I want to eat it. LOL... *sigh*

cah Thu, Oct-30-03 15:55

Don't eat it Nick! I'll join your challenge. It won't be too hard to ignore the candy we're giving out. I asked my husband to wait and pick it up on his way home from work tomorrow(Halloween) and not to buy anything I like(chocolate)! The hard part will be dealing with what my son brings home after trick or treating.