Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   7 days - no cheating (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=14545)

Jessy Wed, Aug-01-01 13:50

7 days - no cheating

Alas, only 2lbs lost. I really don't understand: I have eggs, chicken, heavy cream, cheese - only allowed foods. I drink minimum 2l of water a day, but I have constipation. Maybe it's the reason why I'm not losing weight?

doreen T Wed, Aug-01-01 13:57

constipatoin

Indeed, Jessy that is very likely the problem. Are you eating vegetables too, and salads?? Those things are low in carbs, and are very important because they have FIBER. You need to have fiber every day, and of course the water will help too. Spinach, kale, beet greens (but not the beets!!), broccoli, rabé, cauliflower ...... all kinds of lettuce, mushrooms, red and green bell peppers ... these are all very low in carbs. Dr. Atkins allows either 2 big salads, or 1 salad + a serving of cooked lowcarb vegetable every day.

Doreen

Jessy Wed, Aug-01-01 14:45

vegetables

I read about the vegetables and I eat at least two cucumbers and a tomatoe with meat. You mentioned fiber. Is it very important. If yes, maybe I should take some vitamins with fiber?

bluugirl Wed, Aug-01-01 16:01

fiber and more fiber...

speaking about fiber.... i don't take any fiber e.g. psyllium - i also lose at a slow rate.. does anyone here take 'extra' fiber religiously? i don't like drinking the stuff, and i'm sure what fiber i do get from food is low. Has anyone tried the fiber 'pill' ?

debbiedobson Wed, Aug-01-01 17:04

i think that if you're eating your fibre in veggies and drinking your water and still not having a daily b.m. you should perhaps take a fibre supplement. if you're regular, don't worry about it!

jessy, cucumbers and tomatoes are not a good choice for your fibre. you need those leafy greens like doreen mentioned. in fact all the veggies that doreen mentioned are good! try to have a big salad w/mixed veg at lunch and supper. just count the carbs!

by the way jessy, 2lb in one week is a good safe amount to lose!:D

bluugirl Wed, Aug-01-01 17:07

it took me a second there to figure out 'b.m' lol but i got it ;)
well i guess then, i should take a fiber supplement! i drink a good deal of water, so that's a big help.

Jessy Thu, Aug-02-01 12:39

Crazy thing

but good! Today I saw that I've lost 2 lbs more! Maybe it's because i did well yesterday! I also started having vitamins containing 18mg of fiber and drunk Lots of water. Hope everythings gonna be perfect! :D

wannabthin Thu, Aug-02-01 15:28

Cukes and Tomatoes

They are okay during Induction???

Karen Thu, Aug-02-01 15:48

As long as they're counted as part of your daily carbohydrate allowance.

Karen

KatVW Thu, Aug-02-01 15:59

Are fiber pills/supplements with the vitamins at the grocery/drug store?

bluugirl Fri, Aug-03-01 08:52

super fiber tabs

since i had decided to purchase some fiber, and wanted a little more variety than metamucil and such producs, i went to an organic store, which was bound to have more variety.. i ended up getting a product called SUPER FIBER TABS specially made for that specific store. It contains Oat Fiber 1350mg, Guar Gum 450mg, Psyllium Husks 450mg. (Other ingredients are cellulose, magnesium stearate, stearic acid) :D (These are tablets btw) .

It contains no sugar, starch, artifical colors, flavors, preservatives, corn, soy, yeast, wheat, eggs, or milk products.

This is much easier than mixing powder in water- I sure hope this will help me lose weight faster, and if not, it's still a good habit :D

Karen Fri, Aug-03-01 09:00

Quote:
Are fiber pills/supplements with the vitamins at the grocery/drug store?

To my knowledge, vitamin supplements or medication should not be taken with fiber supplements. The fiber diminishes the effect of the medication.

Karen

doreen T Fri, Aug-03-01 09:36

Fibertabs, Fiber-ax ... etc ... there are others.

These are convenient indeed and easier to swallow than a glass of psyllium goop. But if memory serves correctly, the amount of fiber listed isn't per tablet, but rather per daily dose of 4 or 6 tablets.

1350mg + 450mg + 450mg = 2250mg, or 2.25 grams of fiber.

For the sake of comparison -

1/2 cup steamed broccoli = 2.5g fiber
8 medium spears asparagus = 2.4g fiber
1 Tbsp psyllium husks = 4g fiber

And Karen is right, fiber supplements should be taken at least one hour away from other supplements or medication, since the fiber might inhibit their absorption.

Doreen

bluugirl Fri, Aug-03-01 10:21

You're right- i forgot it said to take i believe several tablets a day..30 mins before a meal (but i will most likely take it before that). Thanks for the comparison, that helps!.

bluugirl Sun, Aug-05-01 14:33

i am so glad i am taking these fiber supplements!! I feel they are making a BIG difference. :D :D :D and taking the tablets vs. powder is a wonderful change.

Should i be taking the carb grams of these tablets into my daily carb count?
each tablet is 2.25gm fiber, and say i take 3, that's 6.75gm! (i'm doing atkins-induction phase.)

i don't really understand if i have to count them as part of the carb value, if it's not really absorbed in the system?