Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Where do you buy your low carb foods? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=144572)

Sweetleaf Thu, Oct-23-03 12:00

Where do you buy your low carb foods?

I was just wondering where all of you buy your low carb foods? I live in San Diego and have seen a few things in the stores, but the selection is very limited. I did get the Atkins catalog and just wondered if you guys order from that a lot. I noticed it is quite expensive, but hey, in a week or two I just might be willing to pay 6 bucks for some lc blueberry muffins! :yum:

Thanks for any info!

LilaCotton Thu, Oct-23-03 12:08

What I would suggest doing instead of going with all the mixes and such, is to check out the Recipe section here and other low-carb recipe sites, and buy ingredients and cook things from scratch. There's no reason to make LC folks pay $6.00 for a bag of muffin mix--it's just insane! Maybe if we just don't buy that kind of thing they'll realize the prices are just too high.

I'm in Idaho, so have no clue what's down in your neck of the woods as far as shopping goes. I found a lot of LC flours and various other things at different places, with probably the best prices being at Fred Meyer in their 'Health Food Store' bulk section. WalMart is getting on the LC band wagon, too, and is carrying low-carb milk (Carb Countdown) which, by the way, is very, very yummy, except for I think it could do WITHOUT the Splenda! ;)

ashley1 Thu, Oct-23-03 12:08

I buy mine at GNC, on netrition.com and at Albertson's. My local one carries a bunch of Atkins brand stuff in a very strange place...

NickFender Thu, Oct-23-03 12:20

For me, low-carb food is just regular old food, so I buy it at the supermarket. Meat, fish, cheese, vegetables, etc. I have not found the need to purchase any packaged low-carb foods. I think one of the most important health advantages of low-carb is that it practically forces you away from packaged foods.

jesdorka Thu, Oct-23-03 12:29

i agree whole heartedly with nickfender, to me that is what it is all about, staying away from packaged food, most canned goods and replacement foods

Tashi Thu, Oct-23-03 12:57

walmart, whole foods, and www.lowcarb.com

Judi B. Thu, Oct-23-03 13:36

Trader Joe's has great tasting low carb tortilla chips-all natural ingredients.
Good low carb rolls-eat them for breakfast with a bacon strip and scrabled eggs.

THe Vitamin Shoppe has excellent protein drinks and powders (for that once in a while meal replacement while on the go!)
And...they also have alot of Atkins products. I like the ketchup.

My local Giant supermarket is now offering the LeCarb (by Bryers) low carb icecream, for my 1/2 cup daily treat!

Judi
Judi