Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.S. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Planning to move to NYC... (Brooklyn) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=144018)

korry1977 Mon, Oct-20-03 17:30

Planning to move to NYC... (Brooklyn)

In January...

Planning to move to NYC (Brooklyn) for clinical rotations for my college...

Does anyone know of any good LC resourses there...

Thanks,
Korry

MyJourney Tue, Oct-21-03 12:46

Heya,

Welcome to NYC

I dont know anywhere in brooklyn, but if you will have a car I highly reccomend sugar free express in yonkers. Its right outside the city on Tuckahoe Rd.

They have everything LC and Sugar free.

korry1977 Fri, Oct-24-03 06:34

Oh ok... thanks... but I will be using public transportation mainly...

I am going to be "so lost" when I get there... LOL

Have a good one,
Korry

Ariana Wed, Dec-17-03 09:46

What are you looking for?

Tell me what you're looking for specifically and I *probably* can tell you where to find it...

My most frequent low carb purchases are made at:
Vitamin shoppe- cheapest atkins and keto products
TJ Maxx or Porto Ricco Importing Co. for Davinci's Syrups
Health Nuts Health food stores for everything else (la tortillas, todd's bagels etc. etc.)

Let me know if you have anything specific you'd love to find :)

Milhafre Mon, Dec-22-03 16:48

It depends where in Brooklyn you will be. If you're anywhere near a Key Food (supermarket), I have noticed lately that they have been increasing their supplies of low carb packaged food (including Arnold lower carb bread and Atkins products). I can give you more specific info if you'll be near Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill (LIU Hospital) or Park Slope (Methodist Hospital).

In Manhattan, Willner Chemists (one on Broadway and Murray St. across from city hall, and one on Park Ave. and 41st St.) recently set up a whole low carb section (at least the one on Park/41st).

There's always an abundance of produce stands around. Also a vegetable delivery service called Urban Organic (you can specify no fruit, no potatoes, etc.) that's based in Brooklyn.

I agree with Ariana that the Vitamin Shoppe and Health Nuts are good resources, too.

Mil

Sparker34 Mon, Jan-05-04 14:23

I don't know how old this post is, but there's a low carb store on 5th avenue and like...14th street I want to say. It's called Traditions. They're very friendly and keep a list of things you can ask for if you don't see it.

Ariana Mon, Jan-05-04 14:40

Traditions?

Hi Sparker..
Are you sure the store is called "Traditions?" I shop very frequently in that area and haven't ever seen the store.. I did a search in citysearch and couldn't find it. Is it a whole "low carb" store or just a store with several low carb products? I would love to find another resource as I'm sad to say the store near bloomingdales closed last month :(
Thanks!

Sparker34 Mon, Jan-05-04 14:52

Hey Ariana, It's def called Traditions. It's fairly new. It's a health food store, but they call themselves an atkins outlet or something like that. It's like 13th or 14th street on 5th ave. Hey, you don't happen to belong to Harbor Fitness do you? I've been looking for a gym buddy for ages :)

Milhafre Mon, Jan-05-04 15:01

Across the street from or down from the New School (I'm thinking of the building on the SE corner of 14th & 5th)? I couldn't find a listing for it either - I'll definitely check it out myself, though.

Mil

Sparker34 Mon, Jan-05-04 15:10

Brooklyn Milhafre....Brooklyn :)

Milhafre Mon, Jan-05-04 15:11

Oy vey. And I used to live a block away.

Sparker34 Mon, Jan-05-04 15:17

The rents are still low..come on back!
So I just looked at your gallery..wow, you've done an amazing job!
Was that all just Atkins? Do you work out too?
I did atkins for 4 months and was extremely extremely frustrated. While I wanted my boyfriend get thinner and thinner, I stayed at the same weight after a loss of 5 lsb inthe first 2 weeks. Anyway, you look great. It must be an amazing feeling!
Hopefully I'll get to feel that before my 30th..which is 6 months away, sigh. So the CAD people tell me they're atkins converts..crossing my fingers.
tanya

Ariana Mon, Jan-05-04 15:46

thanks for the info

Hi Sparker,
Oh... Brooklyn! Thats why I've never seen it :)

I belong to NYSC.. its not the best but it is pretty convenient!

Sparker34 Tue, Jan-06-04 22:13

ok..update..I went to Tradiditions today and it's on 11th street :)

korry1977 Fri, Jan-09-04 23:40

Ok.. should be in Brookyln in Feb...