Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   HELP!! How long can I stay at this level??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=143630)

Mr.Mel Sat, Oct-18-03 13:59

HELP!! How long can I stay at this level???

I've been doing Atkins since May 27th and have lost an average of 6 pounds a month. I can't go over 20 carbs per day or I don't seem to lose anything. It's been 4½ months and I have a lot of weight to lose. How long can I stay at this carb level safely. The DANDR is not real specific on this, it just mentions you can stay at Induction levels about 6 months safely. I may need to be at this level for years. Anyone got any wisdom about this?

mudknife Sat, Oct-18-03 15:06

Are you seeing a doctor?

liz175 Sat, Oct-18-03 15:18

I don't feel qualified to state how long you can safely stay at 20 grams of carbs a day. You might want to ask that question on the offical Atkins website. I've seen other people post that they asked a question of the Atkins people and got a response, so I think there is a way on their website to post inquiries.

If you are interested in increasing your carbs and still losing, I can suggest a couple of things that have worked for me.

First, exercise is very important. Atkins states that people who do a lot of exercise can eat more carbs and still lose and I have found that to be true. If you're not exercising, you might want to start. If you are exercising, you might consider increasing the amount or intensity.

Second, I don't know how old you are (you don't list your birthday in your profile), but it has been my observation that middle-aged and older people need to be somewhat conscious of calories as well as carbs. I am 45 and I know that I stop losing if I eat too much. By cutting way down on snacking, and making sure that I stop eating at mealtime the second I am full, I am able to consume a few more carbs and still lose.

Third, it is possible that there are hidden carbs in the food you are eating and you are in fact eating more carbs than you think you are. It doesn't hurt to go back occasionally and read every label. I stalled out at one point and then started reading labels and realized that the salted Planters nuts I had been eating had cornstarch in them! I never dreamed that there would be something like cornstart in a jar of nuts. I switched to the unsalted which had no added ingredients.

liz175 Sun, Oct-19-03 08:09

Here's the link for the Atkins website where you can ask questions about the plan:

http://atkins.com/help/contact.html

Marieshops Sun, Oct-19-03 10:01

Hello Mr. Mel,
I, like you, seem to need to stay around 20 carbs a day to keep my weight coming off. In Atkins New Diet Rev. book, he says in Chpt 13 that you can safely do induction for 6 months or more and gives a case study of a patient who stuck to 20 carbs for almost 2 years to lose her weight. A lot depends on you and your body's metabolic resistance. For me, I am not on induction only foods, but I have found I must stay at no more than 20 carbs a day to keep losing weight and I want to be a good loser! :)
Good luck.
Marie

tulips Sun, Oct-19-03 15:54

I am *usually* 10carbs or less...but not necessarily induction foods. I would think that your body would be telling you if it's not safe...I know I'm feeling fantastic at the level I'm at. I suffer from hypothyroid and feel that is why I have to keep my carbs so low.

EmyAmber Sun, Oct-19-03 20:40

When I eat more Flaxseed Meal (Flaxseed 'cereal' for instance), and more veggies (especially spinach, garlic, onions, jicima), generally my blood sugar levels improve and I lose weight.
My understanding is that adding more fiber, and the kind of veggies you eat can have a positive effect on the weight loss (on blood sugar levels also, I've seen my levels improve from adding those foods.)

Of course, when adding those kind of foods, it makes you too FULL to eat a lot of other things :)

So I'd think that perhaps adding some of these foods might be a way to increase the carbs a bit and still lose weight.

From Emily

Wenzday Mon, Oct-20-03 06:23

Atkins talks about doing induction for years in dandr safely... I dont think there's any harm as long as you're eating enough fat.