Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Eating fruit and reading the labels from store bought frozen bags. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=143042)

DeanaJane Wed, Oct-15-03 12:04

Eating fruit and reading the labels from store bought frozen bags.

I'm so confused. I was just thinking I would like to add some fruit into my diet but hated to use up such high carbs. When i buy frozen fruit, no sugar added. The bags at the store say much higher carb count than the print out I got from the Atkins website. So which do I follow? There have been other items and I've often wondered, so what about everyone else? Who's count do you follow?

Thank
Deana

ImHere Wed, Oct-15-03 12:09

I always follow the count on the bags first.

Hilary M Wed, Oct-15-03 14:19

I've noticed that too, DeanaJane...good point. I never knew which to follow, but to be on the safe side I always go with the count on the bag, which is always higher.

Nille Wed, Oct-15-03 15:43

You can check the fruit on www.fitday.com or www.nutridiary.com
I trust them more than I trust Atkins !

potatofree Wed, Oct-15-03 18:45

Is the serving size the same?

LadyBelle Wed, Oct-15-03 20:42

Look at the serving sizes. On my frozen fruit the serving size is 3/4 a cup or so instead of the 1/4-1/2 cup I use. Also I think fitday rates frozen fruits as just slightly higher carb. Maybe it thinks the freezing process brings out some of the natural sugars? No clue.

I've recently been using frozen berries as winter approaches and I just can't afford fresh fruit. I looked for frozen peaches today, but they only had them as part of mixes :(

Dstar96920 Wed, Oct-15-03 21:23

I've been eating 1/2 cup mixed berries, warmed a little (from frozen) with a sprinkle of splenda and topped with whipped cream the last 3 nights in a row. I tell myself it's cobbler! Sooo good! Frozen berries make a nice "syrup" when mixed with the splenda and whipped cream. Oh, makin myself hungry!

DeanaJane Thu, Oct-16-03 06:15

The service sizes are not the same but I do take that into account. Most frozen foods use 3/4 cup as a serving size and Atkins uses 1/2 cup. I just divide the carbs according to the size. But Atkins is still lower.

I had also wondered about if freezing brings out more sweetness or not.

LadyBelle
Not sure if you have any Winn Dixies in your area but I saw frozen peaches at mine last weekend. Almost bought some.

Deana

glassgirl Thu, Oct-16-03 23:07

I have a possible answer to your question about higher carb frozen fruit...

Frozen fruit, once thawed, takes up less space in your measuring cup than raw fruit. It has higher carbs because more of it fits in the cup! (assuming no sugar was added in freezing) Think of your cup of raw berries vs your cup of thawed berries which have been beaten up a bit by the freezing process.

We had a power outage in Toronto in August. All of my frozen strawberries take up a lot less space in my freezer, now that they've been thawed, turned into mush and re-frozen. They still taste good, though!

DeanaJane Fri, Oct-17-03 06:13

That's a pretty good answer. Sounds logical to me.

Thanks
Deana