Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I screwed up... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142554)

pjo1966 Sun, Oct-12-03 21:43

I screwed up...

I screwed up and I'm mad as hell. We went to the Flea Market at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena today. The food options were extremely limited so I settled for two Farmer John Hot Dogs. I threw the buns away and didn't put any relish or anything on them. Imagine my surprise when I got home and looked up the carb count. I couldn't find carb info specifically for Farmer John Dogs, but I found that the average hot dog is anywhere from 30 to 45 grams of carbs each... and I had two! I have been on the Atkins plan for a week and have been completely faithful. If I was going to fall off the wagon, there are a LOT of other foods I would have chosen. I was walking around in the hot sun all day craving a Coke and drinking water after water instead. I could have had popcorn at the movie afterwards... Did I mention that I'm mad as hell?

potatofree Sun, Oct-12-03 21:55

...I don't know what your average is... but the MOST I've ever seen for a carb count on a hot dog was 3 or 4..... are you sure you aren't missing a decimal point? The foot-longs I saw only have nine....

pjo1966 Sun, Oct-12-03 22:07

I got my info from calorieking.com. I just downloaded it into my PDA. I just didn't have it with me at the time. I went to farmerjohn.com and they do list their nutritional info there, just not carb count. I have to go to a store tomorrow, so I can check it out. On a more positive note, my Ketone Stix finally showed a moderate reading. Up until now it's been negative.

potatofree Sun, Oct-12-03 22:24

Seriously, if the carb count for a hot dog was over thirty, they're surely counting the bun.

LilaCotton Sun, Oct-12-03 22:30

I have to agree with PotatoFree here. If a hot dog could have 30 grams of carbs they'd absolutely have to be counting the bun because there's just no way a 'wiener' could hold that amount of carbs unless it was pure bread.

I have hot dogs with absolutely no carbs at all. The most I've seen in the store is 3 to 7.

*kim* Mon, Oct-13-03 00:04

I agree the dogs I have here are 2 carbs a dog. Dont beat yourself up until you know for sure :)

pjo1966 Mon, Oct-13-03 09:49

I do feel much better about it knowing that it was just the bun they were counting. I did end up going over my 20 gram limit, but not by nearly as much.

potatofree Mon, Oct-13-03 10:02

You did the best you could, and made the right choice by tossing the bun and resisting the Coke. You COULD have just said "The H$%^ with it" and eaten a lot of damaging foods, but you didn't!

pjo1966 Mon, Oct-13-03 10:05

Actually... as soon as I saw the calorieking info that said I had just ingested 80 grams of carbs I was ready to say the hell with it, I'll start fresh tomorrow, give me a Coke and some chips. My Partner discouraged this. I ended up having some string cheese and water instead... I also bought some diet Hansen's last night. I haven't tried it yet.