Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   90 Pounds in 90 Days (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142446)

DowDowDow Sun, Oct-12-03 08:45

90 Pounds in 90 Days

Hi There!

My name is Dow. I live in Columbus, Ohio. Today is day 20 of Atkins and I am a pound behind (giggle). I have decided that an irrational goal will make me more focused and so far it is working. I started at 274 and today I am at 255. Yay! I am 34 yoa, 5'10", and my goal is 180. We are spending Xmas in Miami and I can't wait to go there as a thin person.

I continue to stick with induction as I am still losing a pound a day and it is delightful. I am also exercising. My dad got me a heart rate monitor and I am working in the zone (though it seems that there is an awful large amount of debate about what the zone is).

What else? I work for the state of Ohio. I have a hobby business where I make scarves. I am married to Jae (40) -- he is not dieting. We have to dogs -- Lillian (a golden retriever) who is about 6 years old and Monk (a boxer) who just turned 1.

My main goal is to learn how to cook low carb. I don't cook very much as it is so this is a large undertaking. Thankfully, my mama is on the Beach and she is constantly sending me more information and recipes.

What have I learned so far?

(1) Sugar free jello makes a fair jelly for bread (which I made for the first time every from the Low Carb Comfort Food Cook book).
(2) I am NOT especially fond of the low carb spaghetti from Keto. There is a recipe in my book that I am going to try.
(3) Small frequent meals are the key for me as I get cranky.

Thanks for having me and thanks for providing such a great board!

DowDowDowDow

DarB Sun, Oct-12-03 09:25

Welcome Dow
I hope that the weight loss continues, but sure hope that you don't expect to lose a pound a day forever...although wouldn't that be nice??? As long as the induction thing is working for you, go for it...and good for you for exerciseing...
I stayed with really low carbs for nearly 5 months, but in the last few months the weight loss slowed down to nearly nothing....
Friends here incouraged me to increase my carbs a bit...they were only around 10-15 each day...so now I am sitting 20-25, and I have started losing again...strange how that works though isn't it.
Good luck, and this is a great place...do surf around and visit other peoples journals...and start one yourself...that is how people will be able to come and visit you. The friendships here are wonderful...and the support incredible. Enjoy your journey.

Petey Sun, Oct-12-03 19:29

30 down 30 to go

hi everyone. today is my first day as a lowcarber.org member and am happy to exchange ideas here. i started the atkins diet on june 11th and lost 30 lbs. however, like DarB my weightloss stopped after 3 months. i'm not giving up. i'm still on induction. i made some changes in my diet by ruling out the big bag of pork rinds i was eating everyday. i think this contributed to water weight with all of the salt. i also started power walking a week and a half ago. i am up to 40 minuted per day and i must admit...... i havent felt this good since i was a teenager. i am full of energy from sunrise to sunset. my sluggish days are behind me and now i can focus on everything in my life weather it's work related or just planning for the future.
I stopped eating the atkind bars. i'm not sure but i think they threw me out of ketosis. anyway, i lost my appetite for them. they are too sweet for my taste. my next step is to cut down on cheese.
Vitamins used:
atkins basic 3
omega 3,6,&9 (combo)
atkins "Accel"

DowDowDow Sun, Oct-12-03 21:18

Yay! Thanks and Welcome

Hi there:

Thank you DarB! I really appreciate your taking the time to say hi.

And welcome Petey.

It sounds like you are both doing well.

A couple of people have told me that they have done Atkin's so many times (off and on with the weight) that the diet has stopped working for them. I wonder is this is akin to your problems with plateaus.

DowDowDowDow
Columbus, OH 43207

Rosebud Sun, Oct-12-03 22:02

Hi there Dow,

I have just edited your post (and will edit your other posts if necessary) to remove your website.
Please see Rule 5 of our forum rules.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

DowDowDow Mon, Oct-13-03 08:35

The Rules :)

Sorry about that. Thanks for fixing!

DowDowDowDow