Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Anyone feel like coaching me through this?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=141657)

LorynJohn Wed, Oct-08-03 11:38

Anyone feel like coaching me through this??

Just back from our vacation. BLEW the diet-bad! could definitly have been worse but definitly blew it!

SO, here I am today in diet limbo land. Not at all sure what to do. If you remember me whining in several posts-Im the one that THOUGHT she was doing atkins correctly but after FOUR weeks hadnt lost a THING!

So, while I know I need to do SOMETHING to loose this weight I must honestly admit that I wonder if Im somehow Atkins-resistant or something weird like that. I, like most human beings, need a little reward for my efforts and watching the scale NOT move was so frustrating.

Sorry to be such a downer all the time but NOW what do Ido??? And and all suggestion, comments, sympathy, kick in the pants or ideas will be greatfully appreciated!! xoL

LovableLC Wed, Oct-08-03 11:41

Did you read the book? Is your fat high enough? Are you only eating induction type foods? Are you getting enough carbs, or too many? Are you drinking lots of water? Are you keeping frankenfoods to a minimum or not at all? Have you tried excluding cheese? Are you getting enough calories, or too little? Have you measured to see if you are losing inches but not pounds?

2brickie Wed, Oct-08-03 11:45

okay speaking from experience, vacations seem to do that sometimes. i just returned from two weeks at a national horse show, and let me tell you temptations were high but i succeeded in staying clean. haha thats what i call it. anyway i have fell off the wagon before and i just go right into the high fat fast, the eggs, chicken and avacados thing for about 3 days and that will jump start your ketosis then back to induction until you are losing what you like is what i do. good luck if i can help let me know

Hilary M Wed, Oct-08-03 11:47

Loryn, a few things I might suggest. First, read the book if you haven't already done so. The whole book. Next, make yourself do a perfectly clean Induction for a few weeks to see what happens — no frankenfoods, no Atkins bars, no "just one taste," no cheating at all. Live on salad, eggs and steak if that's all you like, but do not cheat!

If you haven't lost any weight at the end of those perfectly-clean two weeks, you might consider the Fat Fast that Atkins talks about. It's designed for people who are metabolically resistant. But remember, don't try this until you are SURE you've done a clean by-the-book Induction and it didn't work. Fat Fast isn't for everyone.

Third, cheer up! This is a way of eating (hopefully) for the rest of your life. If you look at it that way, it's not such a big deal if it takes you a long time to lose the weight. What's a few months/years on the scope of the rest of your life?

LorynJohn Wed, Oct-08-03 11:49

Yes, read the book. Yes, staying at 20 carbs. Yes, in ketosis. Yes, drining 80-100 oz of water a day (or more). Havent measured but go by how my clothes feel but NO looser.

And I think the only reason I blew it on vaca was because I hadnt lost in four weeks of being very strict. Otherwise, I found staying on this diet very easy. Never cheated in the 4 weeks prior to vaca.

LorynJohn Wed, Oct-08-03 11:52

question-isnt the fatfast for helping a person to get into ketosis?? Ive been in moderate ketosis consistanly since about 36hrs into the diet and HAVE NOT CHEATED ONCE! No, 'just one bites' even!!!!!! For that Im proud!

cincin11 Wed, Oct-08-03 12:26

Lory , I have lost 20 lbs and I still wear the same jeans,(the butt is baggier now). I suggest measuring . It s cool to see that you have lost an inch ,even though the scale says different . Youre not even sure that you didnt lose any inches,you'll never know.

Hilary M Wed, Oct-08-03 12:32

Lory, it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Congratulations for sticking with it this long! I want to advise you to "be patient and stick with it," but that's hard to hear, I know! Maybe you could e-mail the Atkins Center and see what they have to say.

LorynJohn Wed, Oct-08-03 12:35

I did email Atkins and they sent me a rather canned reply and basically sent all the same suggestion all you wonderful people have suggested.

Thank you all for all your patience and suggestion. I guess Im ready to get back on ATkins since it DID make me feel so much better. May not LOOSE any weight but feeling good IS a plus.

L

Isiar Wed, Oct-08-03 12:37

Loryn
I guess the scale doesnt do you any good and ironically is NOT the best way to track your progress. Scales can become our friends but it takes time to get used to its up and downs.
In a given month a woman might have lost 2 pounds of fat but retained 3 pounds of water. When she steps in the scale, all she see is a 1 pound gain.
A much more reliable measure is your volume. Is there any reason why you don't measure yourself?
I agree with the others, go back to strict induction, measure yourself at least in 4 different parts of your body (breast, hips, waist, arms, leg...etc your pants could fit the same because you re loosing from arms...or from breast. Believe THAT coul happen
AND forget about your scale for awhile. Soon you'll see progress.
It could be a good idea, just to make sure there is no a thyroid problem (I'm hypo and I know how can thyroid complicate weight loss) to take your temperature orally 4 times a day (before each meal and before you go to bed) Average your tempearture , and if it is consistently below 98 degrees Farenheit, you re likely to have hypothyroidism and you might want to see a doctor.
Hang in there! Even methabolically resistent people (like me!) can loose fat and sizes. It requires time and patience and put more attention of other factors (like intolerances and allergies) but by the other hand it give us more time to really make this our WOL
Cheers, Isiar

Beadworker Wed, Oct-08-03 12:42

Lori. It sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. Did you post in fitday yet? i know it is a bit time consuming at first, but if you are doing strict induction it should be a breeze. All the same foods over and over. Maybe some of the more experienced players can look at your fitday and see something you are missing - like percentage fat to carbs and protien, and total cals. BTW are you exercising. Your new muscles would weigh more than your missing fat.

LorynJohn Wed, Oct-08-03 12:43

Well, ok-you're right. There is NO reason why I shouldnt measure myself. I guess its one of the suggested things that I havent done. I jsut feel like Im so intuned to my body and the way my clothes fit that I could tell if they were getting looser-BUT-I will do it! Im a good sport and I WANT to ge an Atkins sucess so Im willing to do WHAT EVER IT TAKES!!! Measuring myslef TODAY! And I guess I will put my scale away!

Looking forward to reporting LOTS of changes on my measureing tape!!! (LOL-looks like I will be changeing one obcession for another!!LOL!)

Oh, and Ive had my thyroid studied and Im healthy as a horse. No thyroid issues. On NO medications. No cholesterol issues. No excuses. In fact, my normal body temp tends to run a little higher than 98.6

Off to measure, L

LorynJohn Wed, Oct-08-03 12:45

Yes, Ive been doing fit day. (not for this past weekend though!). And have been getting the hang of it which does make it go quicker.

Isiar Wed, Oct-08-03 16:20

:lol: :lol: Probably I have already become a tape measure addictive...but isn't cool to make some relations with it like, my hips measures now what my breast measured before, or I've lost 1/8 of my arm in my legs.. :lol: It's much better than just saying "I've lost 8 pounds"
Take good care of you and keep posting!
Isiar

Bon Wed, Oct-08-03 17:28

Loryn,

It does sound like you're doing everything right -- except I did not notice if you mentioned that you were exercising (I could have missed it). Are you? If you're not, that may be the missing component.

I've also read posts about yeast problems inhibiting weight loss and causing stalls.

Hang in there... I'm sure you'll find where that puzzle piece goes!