Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   possible medication problem? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=141127)

McGirl Sun, Oct-05-03 16:59

possible medication problem?

Hi, I work lifting all day and it takes a tole on my back from time to time. I sometimes get put on meds for it and I was given mobicox (a med for inflamation, pain, and also used for migrains),1 tablet for 10 days a couple weeks ago, it didn't get rid of the back problem, lessoned it a bit but I was still in a lot of pain and stiffness. So now the doctor has given me 20 more capsuls of it along with 20 days of Gen-cyclobenzaprine (a muscle relaxant), also 1 a day but taken with the mobicox and both make me drowsie along with dry mouth. Plus he gave me tylenol 3 with codeine. I just started taking them last night, so I've only had 2 dosages so far, but just taking the two pills together, without the tylenol, makes me extremely drowsie and light headed and very dry mouthed. This is a side effect that I'm supposed to experience for the first couple days but I am thinking it isn't supposed to be as suvier as I am getting it. I had to go to bed early last night because I thought I would fall asleep standing. And when I took it today the same thing happened, I was so week and dizzy I had to take a nap. Could this be because I don't have enough food in my stomach? I'm not extremely hungry so I don't eat much and try to drink a lot of water. I am possitive I wont be able to work like this so I may have to only take the meds at night. The pharmasist said I could take the mobicox once a day at night so I may try that during the week. What do you all think? I know your not doctors here, just wondering if any one else has had a similar problem.
also can't speak to my doctor other than Monday's or Thursday's because he works in Montreal on the alternating days.
I only use the tylenol when I really need it.

DarB Sun, Oct-05-03 19:53

Hi there,
If they are making you that drowsy, then by all means, take them at night...that way you should get a good nights sleep...with, hopefully very little hangover in the morning. But, if you are very hung over, then perhaps these pills are not for you...that can happen...and you will hve to go back to the doctor and talk about it.
I take Celebrex 200mg twice a day...and it has really helped my back...which is permanently injured...I still get some spasm...some days worse than others, but I use heat...pressure etc...to get relief from that.
I am worried about the Tylenol 3's with this diet...constipation can be a big problem, and codeine is very constipating...so if you are taking them, remember to eat some fiber, and drink lots of water.
Hope that your back feels better soon...but don't try to drive when you are that whoozy...

tofi Mon, Oct-06-03 06:34

Have you tried Robaxicet or the aspirin version Robaxisal? These are available in Canada - don't know about the States.

They contain either Tylenol or Aspirin plus a muscle relaxer. DO NOT COMBINE WITH YOUR PRESCRIBED MEDICATION!!!! These products are great for pain and the muscle spasms which cause much of the back pain.

Vioxx is also good for muscle/arthritis pain but is a prescription. (Mobicoxib is usually preferred by the govt. health plan instead of Vioxx.) I got huge relief from Vioxx - couldn't take Celebrex as I'm allergic to sulpha drugs & Celebrex has some similarity to them.