Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Bruises anyone? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138631)

Plagiomom Mon, Sep-22-03 05:04

Bruises anyone?

I've been LC'ing since mid Sept. I'm loving this WOE and am doing wonderful!

I have noticed one thing, that I'm curious about. I've always been the type of person that's easy to bruise - but since starting LC'ing, it's gotten ridiculous! My three year old daughter leaned on my leg yesterday and today I have a HUGE bruise in the shape on her hand where she leaned. She only weighs like 30 pounds, and it's not like it hurt when she leaned on me! I have so many bruises on my arms and legs, it's beginning to look like my DH beats me (which of course he doesn't because I could take him in a heart beat! :lol: ) and I have no idea where the majority of them are coming from!

Is this happening to anyone else? Am I maybe lacking in one of my suppliments? I'm taking Multi-Vitamin, Cal/Mag, and Potassium (I was getting leg cramps so I added those in).

Thanks so much for any input or advice.

~Jaya

GEMMA70 Mon, Sep-22-03 05:05

just try drinking water and make sure your exercising the bruises are just coincidental

Rosebud Mon, Sep-22-03 05:13

No, I'm afraid the bruises are not coincidental. They usually indicate a lack of Vitamin C. Are you taking a Vitamin C supplement? If so, you may need to increase it.

You are far from the only LCer to have this happen. ;) Have a look at the vast amount of info in this thread. :)

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

GEMMA70 Mon, Sep-22-03 05:15

i had a few bruises but my doc said just coincent6al didnt know they were cause of lack of vit c

GEMMA70 Mon, Sep-22-03 05:15

can u take a vit c supplemnt on induction?

Sinbad Mon, Sep-22-03 05:17

Hell yes! :)
I take around 1000mg a day, have been doing so since I started...

S

Rosebud Mon, Sep-22-03 05:19

Yes, Gemma, Vitamin C can definitely be taken on Induction. :) In fact Dr Atkins advises us to take it.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

GEMMA70 Mon, Sep-22-03 05:27

thanks rosebud i will take vut c as im getting a lot of colds

Sinbad Mon, Sep-22-03 05:36

If you're getting lots of colds, make sure you're also getting enough zinc. It works well with vitamin C to boost your immune system. Ignore that RDA stuff - go over 1000mg of vitamin C a day! 2000 is not unreasonable if I remember correctly.
Also, Echinacea is a very good supplement for your immune system.
(the gf we were talking about - she's studying complementary medicine - so I get a lot of info from her!!)

S

GEMMA70 Mon, Sep-22-03 05:52

thanks sinbad, im only on induction and taking my multivits and minerals

Plagiomom Mon, Sep-22-03 06:43

Thanks so much for the replies and for the information! I will pick up some more vit C today - hopefully that will do the trick!

Thanks so much! I know my Dh was beginning to get concerned because he figured everyone else would think he was the source of the bruises! :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

~Jaya

Sinbad Mon, Sep-22-03 07:40

Just blame an overenthusiastic sex session *evil grin*

Plagiomom Mon, Sep-22-03 07:54

:lol: :lol: That would pump up my Dh's ego! :)

BelmontLil Mon, Sep-22-03 08:17

Just some quick confirmation from me. In the past I had been bruising a little too much and brought it to the attention ofmy doc, sho did tell me it could be lack of vit C.
Since I started taking a multivitamin, no more bruising from light activity.

AJ_0001 Mon, Sep-22-03 09:05

This forum is an amazing source of information. I have been bruising much more than usual since I began low carbing about 2 1/2 months ago. I have always been a klutz and have always bruised easily but it has been extreme - people at work have made joking comments about spousal abuse as well - I was starting to get concerned but my doctor said it was a coincidence as well - low carbing was not even mentioned. A friend told me fat bruises bigger and better than muscle :-) and I thought it was just me being "me". This is a real relief. I will try adding vit.C to my multi-vitamin, calcium/magnesium/zinc, Omega 3,6 and 9 and Vit.B12 (I'm B12 defficient) daily swallow! Thanks a million!!!!! My hubby can relax...I think he was starting to not want to be seen with me. Or ready to take me to the hospital.
Happy Monday,

Ana J.