Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins segment on CNN tonight (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138026)

manucpa Thu, Sep-18-03 18:02

Atkins segment on CNN tonight

Paula Zahn is doing a segment on LC Spouses

saltnpeppa Thu, Sep-18-03 19:38

too bad there was a lot of misinformation
it's a high protein diet
you can't follow it as a way of life
and the best.. there's NO FIBER so you get constipated.

yeah, let's count the fiber in 15-50 carbs worth of veggies.

i hate shows like that. we should all write in & complain. she's on a modified atkins... doesn't she have ANY idea what atkins IS???

manucpa Thu, Sep-18-03 19:48

That was so bad I don't know where to start ! I think the point of the segment was going to be if you're LCing and eating high fat but your spouse is eating both high fat and high carb then that would be bad. But she was so intent on dissing Atkins she couldn't make her point coherently.

Wenzday Thu, Sep-18-03 19:53

Ughhhhh... boot the chick! they owe the public an apology for that!

red1cutie Thu, Sep-18-03 19:55

I missed it and now I'm glad I did. A good reporter gets all the facts before spouting. :nono:

Peace
red

manucpa Thu, Sep-18-03 19:57

I agree, my DH come down from his office where he watched it on the TV there and commented on how much misinformation they crammed into 5 minutes ! I'm so proud of him.. he doesn't have a weight problem and doesn't do strict Atkins, his eating is more Zone like but he does get it i.e. understands the biochemistry of LCing.

serrelind Thu, Sep-18-03 20:00

I missed it too but it doesn't look like it's saying anything new.. typical misconceptions of Atkins from the general public.

saltnpeppa Thu, Sep-18-03 20:01

go here, click the link to send comments and a window will popup

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/paula.zahn.now/

I never do this, but I'm pretty irritated.

serrelind Thu, Sep-18-03 20:02

i would click on it salt but i think i'd better not head to bed all mad lol

red1cutie Thu, Sep-18-03 20:12

Thanks saltnpepper!

This is what I said:

"Paula, I normally love to watch you on CNN but your "report" and I use the term loosely about the Atkins program was seriously lacking in any incite into what Atkins is really about. I am so disappointed in you.

If you had read the book before your segment you would realize what the plan is about. I have read the book and the plan emphasizes the importance of eating vegetables at all stages of the Atkins program. As you move along in the Atkins program you add more and more carbs. Please read the book in it's entirety and you will see what I mean.

I think you gave all those people who already had an uninformed view of Atkins alot of misinformation.

Very disappointing."

Peace
red

manucpa Thu, Sep-18-03 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
Thanks saltnpepper!

This is what I said:

"Paula, I normally love to watch you on CNN but your "report" and I use the term loosely about the Atkins program was seriously lacking in any incite into what Atkins is really about. I am so disappointed in you.

If you had read the book before your segment you would realize what the plan is about. I have read the book and the plan emphasizes the importance of eating vegetables at all stages of the Atkins program. As you move along in the Atkins program you add more and more carbs. Please read the book in it's entirety and you will see what I mean.

I think you gave all those people who already had an uninformed view of Atkins alot of misinformation.

Very disappointing."

Peace
red

Remember it wasn't Paula that was reporting, she was interviewing. It was her interviewee that was misinformed. In a situation like that it was just Paula's job to ask questions, not give her opinion or report on the facts. That said , she did point out to her guest that some scientific reports now seem to vindicate Dr. Atkins.

red1cutie Thu, Sep-18-03 20:24

Oops, sorry Paula. :rolleyes:

J.J. Thu, Sep-18-03 20:36

Fox News has been doing segments on the Atkins and it has been pretty "fair and balanced" as they say they try to report. They interviewed Atkins dieters and then they interviewed a cardiologist who was definitely dissing the whole WOE! My guess is he's afraid his business will slow down if everyone jumps on board this WOE/WOL!!

rishamoon Thu, Sep-18-03 21:15

My two cents, sent in by the form:

I was really suprised by the amount of misinformation that was provided in the recent bit on Atkins and Low Carb eating. The majority of us Low Carbers have thoroughly read Dr. Atkin's book(s) and shake our heads each time more bad press is spread around.

People correctly following the plan get plenty of fiber and gradually increase their carb intake to a suitable level for their specific needs. We have wonderful support networks (check out http://forum.lowcarber.org for instance) for sharing success stories and giving encouragement where it is needed. These forums are also a great pooled source of information. It has been my experience that when someone has bad side effects from this WOE (way of eating) it is normally due to an oversite on their part and can be corrected by methods provided in the Atkin's books.

Atkin's is aimed at better eating, eating whole foods, the closer to fresh, the better. We have become a society that relies on processing and preservatives and we've shorted out our own bodies self regulatory systems with this *unnatural* way of eating.

I've been doing Atkins for 5 months, I've lost 45 pounds and relocated my self-esteem. I know that I still have a way to go, but I know I will get there, gradually, and in good health.

skibunnie Thu, Sep-18-03 21:35

people who hate atkins have either 1) never read the book and are misinformed, or 2) tried atkins and failed by cheating or giving up
Ive never seen someone make an educated debated with scientific proof to back up their statements