Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Carb question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137750)

Wynter Wed, Sep-17-03 13:06

Carb question

I was wondering about whether or not on very rare occasions it's okay to use up your daily allotment (or at least much of it) on an otherwise unallowed food?

Example (because that's way to vague a question :)) - I'm going to be travelling home for a week next week, and my family is 100% supportive of LC, and my mother gets right into it. Since I plan to stick to the plan completely while travelling, I was wondering about planning one "slight" indulgence while on vacqation. One of my favorite meals is tacos. While taco salad is good, I do miss the crunch of the taco shell. 3 Old El Paso shells has 19 g - 2 g fiber = 17 g carbs. I don't want to risk it if it's going to cause a setback - I guess I'm asking both about 'cheating' within the limits, and whether anyone knows how big an impact on BS taco shells have :)

Has anyone planned a "within carb limits" indulgence? What were your results?

Wynter

dieffen Wed, Sep-17-03 13:16

i don't know if there would be a problem with it or not.. my bros girlfriend does that sometimes... but she says it's best to do it in the morning. i'm new to the diet too, i'd like to know the real answer.
i miss taters with cheese... mmmmmm

HogarthNH Wed, Sep-17-03 15:05

I've done it a few times.

It tends not to be worth it.

Once you knock yourself out of ketosis (and you may or may not do so), you'll have to go through induction detox again.

I don't know about you, but for me, the first three days were hell.

Would you want to go through three days of hell for some tacos? (or, in my case, pizza, or cookies?)

At first, I thought the answer was "Sure, as long as it's not too often."

It's not worth it, for me. The carby food was disappointing, and made me sleepy and nauseous. The detox was terrible.

NickFender Wed, Sep-17-03 15:23

I agree with Hogarth, you probably won't find the reward to be worth it. While, I doubt that it would cause a significant setback, you'll be "stronger" in the long run if you can resist these challenges.

HogarthNH Wed, Sep-17-03 15:29

That having been said, I did also whoosh once after such a binge. (9 lbs in four days, after a three week stall)

It's definitely not a predictable enough phenomenon to recomment to others unless you're feeling very self-determined.

Wynter Thu, Sep-18-03 12:00

Hmmm... good points - think I'll pass for now. If I ever get stuck in the middle of a bad stall, maybe I'll give it a try... but at least for now, I'm having my tacos sans shell.

Thanks for the input!
Wynter

black57 Thu, Sep-18-03 21:26

Once I went to Taco Bell and , without shame, I had Nachos Belle Grande, which was delicious and it did not alter my weight loss goals. Today, I have been a pig and had one of those teenie tiny Almond Joy bar. I had a biscotti at Starbucks and I ate some mac n cheese for dinner. :nono: I know, shame on me but I will be fine and I will continue low carbing forever!!!!

Black57