Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   mudknife'w gym log (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137741)

mudknife Wed, Sep-17-03 12:07

mudknife'w gym log

Walking

1.2 miles in the morning before breakfast.

1.2 miles again in the evening.

Walking speed is moderate because I've had both hips replaced.

Weight Lifting

I use light dumbbells and high reps. I do 15 reps for a while then up it to 20 reps for a while.

curls x6
side shoulder raises x5
front shoulder raises x5
rows x5
bench press x6
tricep extension x5

Average 3 times a week lifting weights. Sometimes if I have the energy and motivation, I train lightly 3-4 days in a row then take a few days off. I seem to be metabolically resistant, so this helps me get into a deeper ketosis.

I usually take at least one day off a week.

DarkLotus Wed, Sep-17-03 17:40

Hi mudknife,congrats on your 20 lbs loss! :) I noticed you seem to do doing all upper body work, how come no weight training for your legs? How long have you been using light dumbbells? Have you considered increasing the weight and lowering the reps to say 12? You sure do a lot of cardio! Glad to see you are taking at least 1 day to rest, but you might feel a little better energy wise spacing out your lifting days with your cardio, do lifting one day, cardio another. Just a suggestion. I'm just a nosey person who loves reading gym logs :p

mudknife Wed, Oct-15-03 13:38

Well recently I've upped my speed during my walks. So far my hips are holding out. I'm always afraid they are going to come out of the joint or something. I also just increased the distance.

mudknife Sun, Oct-19-03 17:44

The following is my workout 3 days a week. All dumbbell work, 15 reps, strict form, med. heavy weights.

curls x6
side shoulder raises x5
front shoulder raises x5
rows x5
bench press x6
tricep extension x5

mudknife Tue, Oct-21-03 12:03

It looks like it's time to get some heavier dumbbells. Going down to 15 reps feels good. It's been a while since I felt a good pump. The weight lifting temptress is calling me. lol I really don't want to lift heavy but I need some resistance if the reps are going to be lower.

3 days per week, strict form, med. rest periods between sets.

curls x6
side shoulder raises x5
front shoulder raises x5
rows x5
bench press x6
tricep extension x5

I'm walking 2.1 miles in the mornings before breakfast and 1.35 in the evenings. Med. to brisk pace. Few rest stops. 6 days per week. One day off a week to rest my joints.

mudknife Fri, Nov-07-03 09:13

All dumbbell work out, 15 reps with light/moderate weights. At least twice a week or three times if I'm not too tired from work and school.

curls x6
side shoulder raises x6
front shoulder raises x6
rows x6
bench press x7
one arm skulls x4
tricep extension x4

Walk 2.1 miles before breakfast and 1.35 in the evening. Maybe take a day off once a week for rest.

Tashi Thu, Nov-13-03 23:27

Hi Mudknife,

Just wanted to say great progress! I also see your from Mt. Clemens, that is where I moved from. My mother's side of the family is all there. I was born at Mt. Clemens general and my mom currently lives in Harrison Twp., where I also went to school at L'Anse Creuse.

It's nice to see someone from that area. I do miss it, sometimes. How's the weather?

Best Wishes

Tashi

mudknife Thu, Nov-27-03 09:41

I'm getting ready for the third TDC fitness challenge. Winter is on its way so I bought one of those hats that have holes for the eyes and mouth so I won't freeze, I have my workouts planned, I feel ready to follow through to the end and I'm motivated.

For this challenge I will try to increase my morning walks by slowly phasing out my evening walks on school nights. With work and school I'll be a little pressed for time after the new year.

My tennis shoes wore out and my feet were hurting so much I got a pair of hiking boots. They are really different than the shoes I'm used to because they have much more foot support and seem to help me walk instead making my feet hurt. Being heavier I should have realized earlier that a firmer shoe would be better than cheaper tennis shoes.

I told my DW I want a weight bench for xmas. I've been using dumbbells and a bench from the picnic table all summer. The bench sits in the hallway so my DW will be glad to see it go.

For this challenge I plan to lift light weights for 20 reps 3-4 times a week. The reason for high reps is to burn any stored glycogen in the muscles, which helps me to get into deeper ketosis. For me, I have noticed that a deeper ketosis reading corresponds to a faster and steadier weightloss. In the past I have used this to successfully break a stall.

Currently I've been walking 2.1 miles in the morning consistently, which is also my favorite time to workout. It will be a little challenging once my supervisor at work leaves and I take over his job, but I'm prepared to get up earlier in the morning so I can still get in my walk. I also like to go on a 1.35 mile walk in the evening but with winter and night classes coming up, I may let this slack a little.

mudknife Fri, Nov-28-03 15:56

I just got my weider bench with lat/tricep pulley.

preacher curl x6
side laterals x6
front laterals x6
rows x4
lat pull downs x4
bench x7
tri push down x4
tri ext x4

mudknife Sun, Dec-14-03 11:29

Average 3 days a week, supersets to save time.

DB preacher curl x6
DB side laterals x6
DB front laterals x6
DB rows x6
Lat pull downs x6
DB bench x7
Tri push down x6
DB tri ext x6

updown Tue, Dec-16-03 09:37

Hi there.
I stopped by your journal to say hi. I saw your pictures and your journal entries for excersize. Good for you, its made quite a difference already.

I'm curious is your wife doing low carb too?

I had a lot of sucess last year, but have really struggled to work the program since august...

I have been gaining a lot so I have started to focus again on me, before I gain all my weight back!

Will you be posting pics again soon?

Anyway have a great christmas (if you celebrate that is) or whatever special holiday your family participates in. :wiggle:

mudknife Mon, Dec-22-03 20:08

15 reps, med. weights, 3 days a week, supersets.

DB preacher curls x6
DB side laterals x6
DB front laterals x6
DB rows x6
lat pull downs x6
DB bench press x7
tri push downs x6
DB tri ext x6

Walk 6 days a week, average 3.6 miles a day split into two walks of 2.1 before breakfast and 1.5 miles in the evening.

mudknife Mon, Jan-05-04 05:10

Back up to 20 reps, med. weights, 3 days a week, supersets.

Stading DB curls x6
DB side laterals x6
DB front laterals x6
DB rows x6
lat pull downs x6
DB bench press x7
tri push downs x6
DB tri ext x6

Walk 6 days a week, 2.26 before breakfast and 1.46 miles in the evening on most days of the week.

Alternate fast and slow pace during walks.

mudknife Sat, Jan-17-04 12:04

New workout schedule:

Walk 3.42 miles before breakfast 6 days a week and weights 3 days a week.

updown Sat, Jan-17-04 22:44

Hi There.

I was just curious if you have gained weight since doing so much weight training and walking? You havn't changed your stats for a long time.

I havn't really started excercising yet :blush:

Good luck to you