Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Doner Kebabs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137067)

Steveah Sun, Sep-14-03 06:25

Doner Kebabs

Anyone have any idea if these would be ok to eat whilst LC'ing? I cant find any nutritional information for them at all.

Cheers

LittleAnne Sun, Sep-14-03 10:52

Doner Kebabs

Hi Steve

I remember a thread about this a few months ago. Don't think they are a good idea. Funny, I can not find the post I want doing a search. My understanding is that there are quite a few fillers in the mince that make up a doner kebab and so they probably are not 0 carb.

Ordinary kebabs are fine as they are just chunks of meat. No pitta pockets though!

Largo Sun, Sep-14-03 11:01

Ahhhh, Donner Kebab!!! Food of the Gods!! ;)

Well donner meat is just minced lamb combined with herbs and spices. Obviously the pitta bread is a no no, and I'm not sure about the chili sauce either as it could contain added sugar :confused:

Check out the Donner Ride website for more information.

I bought a portion of donner meat from my local chippy on Friday night and put it down in Fitday as lamb. Covered the whole lot in mayonaise... heaven!!!

Ebbie.B Sun, Sep-14-03 12:46

I remember the thread you're talking about Anne but i can't find it either.

Apparently Donners are a no no because it is not 100% meat it has all sorts of fillers eg wheat flour.
Chicken kebab is fine as long as the chicken hasn't been marinated in any nasties.

Steveah Mon, Sep-15-03 03:02

Oh bugger ! Not to worry. Obviously knew about the pitta breads, but i was praying that the meat would be ok.

That was one of the things that was a big no-no when i was on a low fat diet.

Some things are just too good :D

Ebbie.B Mon, Sep-15-03 03:09

you could always make your own, that way you know exactly whats in it ;)

Sinbad Mon, Sep-15-03 04:01

I asked my local kebab shop what was in the chili sauce - they said there was no sugar, so I have the occasional shish (lamb) with chilli sauce, cabbage, lettuce and mayo (minus pita of course) - man, it's heaven! :)

UrbanGypsy Mon, Sep-15-03 04:16

I wouldn't always trust what folk tell you though (especially not for something as nutritionally void as a doner kebab! :lol: )

I remember asking a similar kind of place where I grew up if the vegetarian stuff was fully vegetarian (ie cooked nowhere near meat, etc), and they assured me 100% that it was. I was sick every time I ate from there though... and finally worked out why when I watched them cook my food in the same pan as the burgers etc. :Puke:

Alas kebab shops by their very nature are more likely to be concerned with their profits than your health/waistline. :(

LisaUK Mon, Sep-15-03 13:51

Bit of a broad generalisation there Urban? :D :D heh heh

It's REALLY worth checking with the shop.I know from my Mom's boyfriend's place, they only bind their doner with lamb fat, not bread or filler. A lot of places do the same but it really is worth taking the time to ask.

They also do chicken doner which is stunning, just slices of chicken piles onto the doner stand and grilled.

I usually stick with shish kebab just in case, if I'm not at the bfs place.