Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins & Antibiotics (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136762)

red1cutie Fri, Sep-12-03 13:03

Atkins & Antibiotics

A friend of mine is going to start Atkins but she takes antibiotics. I was just wondering how would that affect her results (weight loss). Does anyone know? She has to take them for at least a month.

Peace
red

LadyBelle Fri, Sep-12-03 14:16

Occasionaly Antibiotics can kill off the good bacteria in the intestines and allow Candidia to grow. Eating LC and cutting out sugars though can help to prevent this as the candidia eats the sugar. You might recomend she try the candidia diet found in the yeast chapter of the book more to prevent an overgrowth then treat one. She could also possibly take probiotics, though she might want to ask her doctor to be sure they won't interfer. After induction when she gets on OWL adding in plain unsweetened kifer and whole milk yogurt can be wonderful as they are fairly low carb and contain many good bacterias. Get one with at least 5 active cultures (Not Dannon whole milk) and low carbs such as Stoneyfield Farms. I typicaly eat 1/2 cup of yogurt a day and find it even helps with my weight loss :) I've also started adding in 1/2 cup kifer which is only 4 carbs.

doreen T Fri, Sep-12-03 14:19

hi red,

Antibiotics won't have a direct effect on her low-carb efforts. However, they can disrupt the normal intestinal flora which might allow candida yeast overgrowth, and THAT can interfere with weight loss. It might be helpful if your friend followed Atkins' dietary recommendations in DANDR for Candida-yeast related problems, and also take probiotic (acidophilus etc) supplements while she's on the course of antibiotics. Just be sure to take the acidophilus a couple of hours away from the antibiotic.

hth,

Doreen

doreen T Fri, Sep-12-03 14:20

LOL!! Posted at the same time :lol:

:thup:

Doreen

red1cutie Fri, Sep-12-03 18:12

Thanks so much Doreen and LadyBelle! I will tell her to follow the candida guidelines and get some probiotics.

Peace
red

tagcaver Fri, Sep-12-03 19:07

antibiotics and yeast

I want to add to this thread that I recently finished a 1-week course of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. In the past I have ALWAYS gotten a vaginal yeast infection from taking antibiotics. This time, nothing! Not an itch anywhere! I think it must be the lack of "food" for the little yeastie beasties. Just another benefit of this WOE!

Joan

(BTW, the UTI had nothing to do with low carb diet, water consumption, or anything else related to this WOE. It was for the most common reason females get UTIs. And it sure was fun getting that UTI. :p )

doreen T Fri, Sep-12-03 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcaver
(BTW, the UTI had nothing to do with low carb diet, water consumption, or anything else related to this WOE. It was for the most common reason females get UTIs. And it sure was fun getting that UTI. :p )

LOL!! :lol:

Honeymoon Cystitis

Do they still call it that in the books????

Doreen