Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   This Is Gross, But I Have To Know If (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136759)

STALLQUEEN Fri, Sep-12-03 12:44

This Is Gross, But I Have To Know If

ANYONE ELSE HAS NOTICED THIS.

You know how fat/oil float on top of water..

Well. I guess you know where im going with this now, my pee has little fat floatie thinks on top, thats gotta be fat right, only happens when im losing. Looks like oil or something but in in little puddles.

Anyone else

meaganm Fri, Sep-12-03 13:02

Ummm, no i haven't noticed anything like that. I'm curious to know if anyone else has. Your kidneys don't have a mechanism for secreting fat and so it should not turn up in your urine. Has this been going on for a while? It may indicate a urinary tract/bladder infection, but i've never heard of this as a symptom. Do you have any discomfort when you urinate? If not you may be ok. Honestly, i don't know what could be going on. (I'm not a doctor, only a medcal student). Hmmmmmmm...

HogarthNH Fri, Sep-12-03 13:14

Ketone bodies are excreted in urine. Could certainly be that, or something in one of the supplements you take.

hramsey76 Fri, Sep-12-03 13:19

Never heard of that. Course never inspected that close either. lol I'm like a Quickee Mart, Pee and go.

Lori H Fri, Sep-12-03 13:21

Have to say thats a new one on me!

hysteria Fri, Sep-12-03 13:22

Becareful...the last time I saw oily 'stuff' floating in my urine I had a UTI (urinary tract infection). It was not painful yet...just one of the 1st symptoms to arise.
You may want to call a doctor and ask them what they think.

amiee3377 Fri, Sep-12-03 14:06

Yes it is ketone bodies. I get them all the time. Just make sure you drink plenty of water. Congratulations.

gawdess Fri, Sep-12-03 14:12

yup i get them too...they are ketones..which is why it only happens when I am in Ketosis

ItsTheWooo Fri, Sep-12-03 14:24

I've noticed the same thing, it looks like there is oil in my urine sometimes.

galxcgrl26 Fri, Sep-12-03 14:40

oil spill

I've noticed it for along time. I don't use keto sticks...I just look for the oil spill to let me know I am still in ketosis...lol.

Hilary M Fri, Sep-12-03 15:00

Happens to me all the time, and I always thought it was weird but just assume that it's another wacky result of ketosis.

Baconbabe Fri, Sep-12-03 15:28

Yep..its a good thing..lots of ketones...it will normally be a lil extra stinky too :)

angieK Fri, Sep-12-03 18:00

I guess I will have to look alittle closer. I never heard of that before. This site is great there is no question that doesn't go unanswered.LOL
angie

ICountToo Fri, Sep-12-03 18:41

Well, at least it keeps things interesting - Now I'll be sure to take a closer look next time I go <g>

MetilHed Sun, Sep-14-03 18:53

I've noticed this since the very beginning, (well, maybe not exactly, but Im not sure) and at first I thought it was the ketones being released in my urine.
It was smellier than usual and a nice BRIGHT yellow. It looked "thicker" than normal urine and sort of "stuck" to the porcelain (ie where it didnt hit the water). The porcelain would have bright yellow "stains" .
After awhile I thought it might be due to me taking alot of vitamins and some of them not being absorbed.

I'm still not sure which one it is. When I told my friend about this he looked ~ me like I was crazy.

Met