Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Having trouble believing it! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=135442)

NYorker Sat, Sep-06-03 12:04

Having trouble believing it!

I've never been a dieter. I've always just been fat and self hating.

Now seeing the scale tic down a half pound every couple of days is just filling me with wonder and happiness and rare hope. I actually feel this is possible - that one day soon, I might actually look and feel good. Me! It's tremendous.
But it's all a little incredible. Can this really be happening after all this time?
How do you guys feel when you see another pound go?

hey_Neener Sat, Sep-06-03 12:13

I'm a lot like you. I have been fat since highschool and never put much effort into dieting. I feel elated with each half pound that ticks off the scale. It makes me feel great all day. On the flip side-anything more than a two pound gain day to day makes me feel blue and either more prone to cheating or (if I've taken my vitamins) even more determined to get it off.

Gimmpy Sat, Sep-06-03 12:17

Congratulations ! :hyper: for loosing your first 20 lbs. This really is unbelievable to lose weight eating this way. I keep telling people I'm eating myself thin. I eat a least 2 - 3 times more food now compared to when I was really fat.
Let see how do I feel every time I lose another pound...hmmm.... GREEDY. Even though I've lost 72 lbs its just not enough. I want that next pound. Thursday is my favorite day of the week now. It's the day I weigh in and see if I've lost any more.
Wont be to long before I'll be half the man I use to be. Can't wait.
Congratulations again and keep up the great work.

J.J. Sat, Sep-06-03 12:29

I find this WOE absolutely amazing!!!

DH has had high cholesterol and blood pressure problems and the doc put him on a low fat diet! I went on it with him and we both GAINED WEIGHT!

A friend suggested Atkins and since June we've both lost about 20 lbs. each. He is now off all his meds and the doctor told him whatever it is he is doing to just keep right on doing it! He was afraid to tell him it was the Atkins diet but when he did, the doctor said he was doing it too!!

Why in the heck didn't he tell him about Atkins in the first place??? Our medical community must really be confused or afraid of law suits!

black57 Sat, Sep-06-03 23:14

I believe that the doctor dod not inform your husband because it is so hard to believe that this is how we should be eating. Your doctor probably thought that you would doubt the outcome of a low carb diet so he didn't tell you about it.

Yes, the medical community is afraid of law suits. I read of a doctor who quit delivering babies because of law suits.

Black57

cc48510 Sun, Sep-07-03 00:38

Like most others around here, I have tried LF/HC...with little to no success. I tried dieting first in 1997...I lost 10-20 lbs...before my weight loss stopped. After being essentially stalled (weight fluctuated up and down within a range of a couple pounds) for 4 months, I went off that one, and gained it all back plus 80-100 more in 2 years. I ate Low-Fat from 1999 to 2002, when I went on Atkins. I gained another 30 pounds eating Low-Fat. I also did not expect Atkins to work so well. But, it did to the tune of 86 pounds and 30-36 inches (8-10 Chest/12-14 Waist/10-12 Hips.)

angieK Sun, Sep-07-03 01:22

I feel GREAT!!!
I have been gaining weight steadly for the last couple of years. I tried it all and nothing seemed to work. This does work and my high blood pressure is also falling.
I can't wait for the day that my rings fit the fingers they are susposed to--I have a lot of pinky rings now but in the future they will fit onto the other fingers like before.
Congratulations on your loss of weight and loving yourself.
angie

serrelind Sun, Sep-07-03 05:39

That's great :) I feel awesome myself. I know this is the WOE for me, something I can stick with for the rest of my life. Even if I don't lose another lb, I wouldn't change because I feel great eating this way.

Bon Sun, Sep-07-03 05:55

I found that every pound lost still amazes me . . . that I can eat healthy, stay full, and still lose weight.

I wish I had paid more attention to this "fad" diet in the 80s... maybe I would have avoided some of the health problems and yo-yo weight.

This WOE has been a true blessing to me. The knowledge I have gained gives me hope that I will never again be overweight. I finally have control over it!

hramsey76 Sun, Sep-07-03 11:14

Its amazing waking up every morning and seeing a difference! Its like the adds for miracle weight loss pills "Lose weight overnight". With Atkins it actualy works! I've tried taking metablite and dexatrim and herbalife. I felt like a druggy take a bunch of pills before eating. What a waste of money! I could have been buy T-Bones! Now I feel like a piggy eating all the time and loosing weight, reminds me of Stephen Kings movie "Thinner". :lol: Keep up the excellent work everybody!

Paleoanth Sun, Sep-07-03 11:33

I felt like I was finally in control. I had gained 40 pounds in grad school due to stress and a low thyroid. I thought I was doomed to be fat-no matter what I did-eat low fat, work out 5-6 days a week-nothing happened. I finally went to the doctor and he suggested low carb. He had been on Atkins himself and was a big believer.

This woe/wol made me realize that I did have control, I did have hope and I was NOT doomed to be fat. In fact, I could choose my own weight. How cool is that?

Wenzday Sun, Sep-07-03 12:08

congrats!!! I did so great the first week..since I lost my faith but I am going to start over with only induction foods and no treats and see if I can make a believer out of me again!

armywife3 Sun, Sep-07-03 18:03

YES! I was always looking for that miracle diet that would let me eat and lose weight. People said it did not exist but it does with Atkins. I have lost 62 pounds and I have gained my life back. I have a long way to go but I am 1/3 of the way there. The most amazing thing is that I no longer have cravings most of the time nor do I spend 24 hours a day starving to death. All Hail Dr. Atkins!

armywife3 Sun, Sep-07-03 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmpy
Thursday is my favorite day of the week now. It's the day I weigh in and see if I've lost any more.

Sunday is my weigh day and that was today. Another 2.5 pounds gone forever. Yipee!! Every week I go in there still expecting it to say I've gained 10 pounds b/c I ate good food but instead it always tells me I've lost something. What is really fantastic is that I no longer care if I don't lose 10 lbs in a week. I used to feel like I had to rapidly lose weight. I think that was because on the other diets I still had all the cravings so I couldn't stand a slow weight loss. I was dying of hunger the whole time. Now I'm hardly ever hungry so who cares if I lose weight at a slow pace.....2 pounds a week is standard and just fine for me. At first I lost a lot more than that but now I've settled into a good 2.5 pounds a week. Yesterday I had a huge steak and salad for dinner. For some reason later on I was still hungry and ate 2 hot dogs. Got up today thinking...oh no I ate more than usual right before my weigh day!!.....Another 2.5 pounds gone...I JUST LAUGH MY ASS OFF!! Literally...I am literally laughing my ass off...I have laughed about 1/4 of it off and now I'm going for the rest....before long I'll have a skinny behind.....Love you dr. atkins!