Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   [SB] Atkins to Sugar Busters (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=135435)

newcarbgir Sat, Sep-06-03 11:28

Atkins to Sugar Busters

Hi

I'm new to this forum, hoping some of you can help. I was on Sugar Busters for a while last year which I really enjoyed, but then I switched to Atkins for a while. Although Atkins works well for me in terms of getting thinner, the lack of fruit and vegetables and the high protein/fat on Atkins is getting me down, so I'm just switching back to Sugar Busters. I've been back on SB for about 5 days, and I'm finding that putting the extra carbs back into my diet - and they're all low-glycemic carbs like a couple of small slices of rye sourdough bread, and some more low-glycemic fruit and vegetables - seems to be setting off carb cravings in me after the very low carb Atkins. Has anyone else had this problem switching from one to the other? Will it get better over time? I have not had *any* high glycemic carbs, so I'm depressed to find myself craving them again since switching back to Sugar Busters. My body just seems to be going "yes! yes! carbs! more! more!" Help!

skeeweeaka Sat, Sep-06-03 17:12

You Have To Balance The Carb With Protein..in My Experience...

Hello New... Yes I switched from Atkins to Sugar Busters... I, however, have tried adding them back slowly... You need to start with one for a week....that's what I did... Started with cereal and milk...first week...second week added a baked sweet potatoe... I know Sugar Busters doesn't count carbs...but for a while you should really stick to no more than 2 servings until your body can adjust...

Also, watch the sugar content...if more than 3 a serving that could explain it... And, make sure you are eating the carbs with something else which helps balance them out... Milk balances out the All Brain...1 cup of milk to 1/2 cup of All Bran... When I eat my sweet potatoe after dinner...I have it without fat or protein...and I have it by itself...

Also, you might want to check out a booked called The Insulin Resistance Diet...only to provide you with some insight about carbs and food combining.. When I combine my foods or balance them according to the book...no cravings...check the library... The book suggests balancing 15 grams of carbs with 7 grams of protein...

For example, the first day I added back carbs I have 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup All Bran... I keep a log now of how food affects me and I had cravings so I noted that in my log to try upping the milk the next day, so I upped the milk to 1 cup the next day and 1/2 cup of All Brain - NO CRAVINGS... For fruit just add sufficient protein and you shouldn't have the cravings...

It might take a little work, but balancing things out helps me to be able to have them... Another example, I wanted cheesecake...so I did a CAD dinner... chicken, broccoli, and salad...last slice of cheesecake... NO CRAVINGS...NO WEIGHT GAIN...

P.S.... I had been in a 6 week stall...lost 5 pounds end of 2nd week...!!!

TJ

boyblue Mon, Dec-01-03 19:06

Cravings

I did the atkins diet 3 years ago for 6 months and lost 44lbs. I switched to Sugar Busters but once I added "good" carbs to my diet I lost all self control. I gained all my weight back. I'm not blaming SB but for me it is easier to cut out all carbs. I believe that the portion of Dr. Atkins' book about cravings subsiding once we cut out the carbs is critical to the diet's success.

I am starting a low carb diet at the end of this month - not as a new years resolution. It's just that my wife and I are taking a month to get into the habit of cooking regularly. I've chosen Atkins because it easier for me as a carb addict to rid my home of the stuff.

LadyWendy Tue, Jan-27-04 12:40

Hey New :)

I go from Sugar busters, to Atkin's to Sugar Busters to Atkin's to Sugar Busters to nothing, to pigging out to Atkin's to Sugar Busters, to PMS whole bag of cookies, to Atkin's. To reward meals on Sundays, to Atkin's m-f, Sugar Busters Saturday and eat carbs on Sunday LOL When I first started (August 2000) I was soooooooo strict and lost the majority of weight that first year. Atkin's is easier to follow for me because it seems that I am an all or nothing type of chick. I don't do well with adding in brown rice, rye, etc. I stop losing when I do or eventually gain. I read in another post that if your cravings are really bad, eat FAT. They also suggested bacon. My cravings are pretty intense right now because I ate "freely" on Sunday and I have PMS. Do what works for you.
I just stick the the Wendy Plan. Meats, dairy, seafood and leafy greens. When I do that for an extended period of time, I do my best and lose. Good luck :) *wen*