Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   decaf coffee question? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134797)

claudianne Wed, Sep-03-03 12:01

decaf coffee question?

i've come to realize that life without coffee of some kind is bleak. i almost switched to protein power because regular coffee is allowed. but then i decided that if giving up caffeine would help me, gosh darn it, i would give up caffeine.

so i'm planning to buy decaf coffee and light cream and have 1-2 cups a day.

but i have two questions:

will the cream make me stall?
isn't decaf bad for you?

how many of you drink decaf w/ cream on a daily basis?
how many of you use half and half?
heavy cream?
light cream?

i can't wait to start enriching my life again :) when i don't have my daily cup of coffee i try to reward myself with other foods...and then i get in BIG trouble!

potatofree Wed, Sep-03-03 12:40

I guess I'm not a purist when it comes to caffeine. I still have a couple of cups of "real" coffee.

As far as cream, I think heavy cream is best. It shouldn't cause trouble if you don't overdo it. Kind of like cheese, etc. it all has SOME carbs, but it all has a place! The extra fat in it keeps you satisfied a LOT longer than you'd think.

wiggles Wed, Sep-03-03 14:55

has caffiene, too

I drink the half decaf coffee and am fine. But I started that a while ago. And I still lose weight. DH is using half and half but I thought the more fat the better with creams... Don't they have carbs listed? I know milk does and the less fat the more carbs. DH is losing with half and half and caffiene.

dixiebugg Wed, Sep-03-03 15:08

I switched to decaf when I started, two cups each morning (with 1 tblspn heavy cream). I have since switched to half-n-half without any apparent problems (yet!). Having been a caffeine addict since my teens, I was surprised at how easy it was to give it up - and I don't miss the caffeine-withdrawal headaches I used to get in the mornings if my coffee was late!

serrelind Wed, Sep-03-03 15:23

That's the reason I never allow myself to get into regular coffee. I'm afraid I might get myself addicted to it lol. I looooove coffee, but because I don't have an addiction to it, I am ok not drinking it. I drink about 2 mugs of decaff a day, with a total of 4 tbsps of heavy cream and 6 packs of splenda. Yeah I like my coffee sweet and creamy lol.

potatofree Wed, Sep-03-03 20:31

6 packs of Splenda would be almost HALF my carb allotment for the day! I need those for the veggies.. which are NOT as much fun...<pout>

Froufie Wed, Sep-03-03 20:56

I switched to decaf and am enjoying it immensely! I splurge on Decaf Sumatra from Starbucks....a bit pricey but a very rich coffee flavor. Make about 1/2 pot at work each day for am sipping only.

Add some REAL cream to my coffee and I'm in heaven. I have used both half and half and table cream, the carbs are slighly different, but not by much. I understand the half and half is probably cheaper and lower in calories for those that care.

Have used this since the begininng (about 2-3 oz per day) and so far so good!

Froufie

P.S. Recently invested in a French Press coffee maker (single serving)...wow what a treat!

serrelind Thu, Sep-04-03 06:25

Froufie, how's that French Press coffee maker different from the others?

I am trying to cut back on the Splenda actually. I think I am wasting too many carbs from consuming it :(

pshinn Thu, Sep-04-03 07:27

Wife and I like Chocked full of Nuts

Decaf with Chickory

tastes yummy

and is a little cheaper than folgers!

Serena Thu, Sep-04-03 10:09

I used to drink about 3/4 of a pot everymorning and after I started Atkins, I just stared drinking less and after about 4 days, I didn't make it anymore. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old so I do miss the pick me up a little.

I now have heavy cream a couple times a day i Decaf. I make 2-3 cups in the morning and save the rest for later when I want a snack. I use some splenda and I also have an Atkins vanilla syrup. I bought it several years ago at the grocery store. It's really good and made with liquid splenda, it has no carbs!

potatofree Thu, Sep-04-03 10:59

I'm actually trying to fool myself now... I'm slooooowly starting to mix decaf with my regular. I did, however, almost entirely cut out the diet Cola. <pat self on back> I'm going to save it for a once-in-a-while treat, but no more than 3 a week.

My biggest problem with the coffee is the old habit of having to have a "go-with"... that little sweet snack that isn't really necessary!

mssusthang Thu, Sep-04-03 11:15

I have two cups of some chocolate almond decaf with the Chocolate Atkins syrup and 2 T of heavy cream. Really fills me up and helps breakfast keep me full a little longer.

Can't do without my ritual coffee. Just love that tastey warm beverage in the morning.

I was a caffeine-aholic. Diet Coke all day. Full caff coffee in the morning. No wonder I was having low blood sugar reactions in the afternoons.

I have felt much better since weening myself of caffeine.

Froufie Thu, Sep-04-03 19:55

French press is a small glass coffeepot contraption, with a plunger and metal filter. You put some scoops of coffee into the pot, add hot (not boiling water), stir and let brew for about 4-5 minutes....then the fun part - you push the plunger/filter contraption down to the bottom of the jar.....like squeezing the coffee grounds and pressing out the coffee flavor.

Then pour into cup and enjoy with some cream...very yummy!

Froufie

serrelind Thu, Sep-04-03 19:57

haha sounds like fun Froufie :D

Birddog Thu, Sep-04-03 22:02

I switched to decaf. I have 1 cup a day during the the week. On weekends I sometimes have 2 cups. I use 1 tb whipping cream and 1 tsp of splenda or sugar twin per cup.