Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Lets Talk About Constipation (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134580)

Pixie Tue, Sep-02-03 11:27

Lets Talk About Constipation

Ive already searched through a number of posts about this, the ones i found the most informative were over a year old so i thought that i would ask the question again (sorry to repeat a question that has been covered before)

What is the best way to beat constipation whilst on this plan? My problem is that i only eat tomatoes & onion, no other veg. I just dont like them. So before i went onto Atkins my fibre intake was from wholemeal pasta and wholemeal bread, bran flakes etc so this wasnt a problem. I also ate a lot of fruit, but i know that this wasnt a perfect diet. (sometimes i would have to use fibrogel drinks) I do however drink LOTS of water. As i dont drink tea or coffee its all i drink whilst at work and then i just have one can of diet pop at night and then its back on to the water, this is something that i have done for years.

Is there anything i can take in tablet form that i can take on a daily basis to help with this? Ive read about psyllium & also Flaxseed Oil - call me stupid but do these come in a tablet form? I really want to stay away from liquids if possible as i find them really hard to drink.

Any help would be great,

With Thanks

Vanilla Tue, Sep-02-03 12:01

You can buy psyllium husks in capsule form from Holland and Barratt - they are gentle and effective.

tofi Tue, Sep-02-03 13:13

And do try to add some veggies, you may find that your tastes are changing as you progress in LCing. Onion & tomato are both highish in carbs. And you miss out on many wonderful phytonutrients.

Psyllium husk capsules are definitely the answer for both constipation and diarrhea - both are possible effects of LCing.

Meghan Tue, Sep-02-03 13:23

Go to a health store, I dont know if you have GNC, but ask for a Multi-Enzyme dietary supplement, that should get the fire started!LOL :lol: :agree: :wiggle: :yay: :roll:
It worked for me and my BF!!! Better than any fiber replacement powder

LittleAnne Wed, Sep-03-03 00:38

Hi Emma

This is not something I've ever had a problem with, apart from on week one, but I do eat lots of veggies. Try to eat more veggies or add in a small piece of fruit as you increase your carb level. Glad you are drinking plenty of water, that is very important here.

I never cared much for salad, but having it with mayonnaise makes it taste so much nicer and now I miss it when I don't have it during the week.

Dinnersaur Thu, Oct-02-03 06:58

Bran!

Initially i went to Holland and Barrat in search of psillium husks - they were about £10 for a small bottle.

'Round the back of the shop though, they sold bags of bran for about 99p.

2 tablespoons a day did the trick during the induction phase ;-)

med234 Thu, Oct-02-03 14:38

fybogel

Does anyone know if Fybogel is OK to take on LC?

LittleAnne Fri, Oct-03-03 00:47

Fybogel contains artificial sweetners. If you are happy to include them in your way of life then it is OK.

DiskyUK Fri, Oct-03-03 06:00

Well, im still in the first week of induction, but to be honest i have the opposite issue of constipation at the moment. I done the Atkins about 18months or so ago and did get constipated, but this time has been the opposite,, which to be honest i put down to the volume of water im currently drinking.

I had a friend who had the same constipation problem and he thought he would solve it by using fruit,, but beware of the sugars etc in some fruits,, he tried bananas without reading the facts and due to the super high carb content blew himself right out the picture for nearly a full week,,, then it was back to induction for him..

I believe everyones body shall react in differing ways to LC, and as such i think there is no better response as to Common Sense. After all,, you are the one that knows your body, you know what you can and cant take,, just be sensible and im sure all will be fine :wiggle:

regards
Disky

satine Fri, Oct-03-03 08:12

Disky

Glad you mentioned the opposite of constipation - cause I've been suffering with that as well! Glad to see I'm not alone!! It seems to be worse if I've been drinking diet coke. Think that caffine might be one cause. Wish caffine free coke was more readily available.

Pixie Fri, Oct-03-03 10:25

Sainsburys, asda, co-op, tesco, safeway all stock caffine free diet coke. Look out for the gold cans.

med234 Fri, Oct-03-03 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAnne
Fybogel contains artificial sweetners. If you are happy to include them in your way of life then it is OK.

Not happy, but I've been taking it for 3 years and have unbelievable trouble when I try to stop! I'd really like to know how many carbs are in one sachet?