Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Should I move onto OWL? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134227)

Dustin Sun, Aug-31-03 18:00

Should I move onto OWL?

Well I started at 210 I am now 169, my goal is 140-145, should I move to OWL? I would really like to eat more veggies(green beans...yuum) and broccoli and maybe strawberrys once in a while... should I move onto OWL and how slow will my weight loss be then?

red1cutie Sun, Aug-31-03 19:04

Dustin, why don't you read the chapter on OWL? Everyone is different so your weight may slow down a little or remain the same. If you want a wider variety of carbs then yes, move on. Make sure you follow the guidelines on how to add more veggies, fruits, etc in.

Good luck.

Peace
red

Dustin Sun, Aug-31-03 19:05

I got the book, I have read it lots I am just curious on how it affected other peoples loss.

Kathy54 Sun, Aug-31-03 21:06

Yes! move on eat your broccoli !
Kathy

glassgirl Sun, Aug-31-03 21:10

Dustin,
I found a compromise that works for me.
I still stick to 20 carbs a day, but I do eat the 'acceptable' owl foods like strawberries (yum!)
I know it's not 'by the book' but it works for me.

sounds like you're doing really well, though.

Deiesse Mon, Sep-01-03 00:33

Hey Dustin, the thing to remember is, if you move on to OWL, and after a few weeks you find you aren't losing as fast as you'd like, you can always pull back.

The thing to be careful of is carb creep. I'm starting to think I might need to watch that myself, as I've gotten a little lax on measuring, and haven't lost anything the last couple weeks.

I have to say it really is nice eating nuts, berries, and peanut butter, and as GlassGirl points out, you can still keep your carbs very low. Last few times I measured I was at around 25-30 carbs, but when I first started eating OWL foods I often ended up under 20 anyway.

Skamito Mon, Sep-01-03 00:42

I love OWL. Since you're so close to goal, it's a good consideration. I would definitely suggest (even if you decide to hold off on OWL a little longer) not to limit yourself too much on veggies. I mean, you're not trying to work off the pounds you gained eating green beans, broccoli and strawberries. ;)

By the way, I lost most of my weight while doing OWL. I've gone back to induction a couple times after slip ups, carb creep, etc. just to regain control, but OWL is where it's at for me.

Also, think of it this way, a lot of people on this forum have lost a lot of weight doing Protein Power which starts off at 30g a day. You can definitely still lose with more good carbs!

Good luck. You've done SO well so far. Just keep workin it! :)

jaybee007 Mon, Sep-01-03 05:15

Owl enables you to up your carbs and have an acceptable ACE( atkins carbohydrate equilibrium). If you stay in induction for too long a period, your ACE will be lower than if you move to OWL and exercise. I know a few people who are in maintenance and have an ACE of 100 grams a day and they maintain their weight. You may lose more slowly but kick in some cardio and weights and it`ll still come off at a nice pace of 1, 1.5 maybe 2 pounds per week.

Dustin Mon, Sep-01-03 07:57

I would like to loose at a nice pace of 2lbs per week...