Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   not being hungry? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134146)

zcereal Sun, Aug-31-03 00:32

not being hungry?

recently i have noticed something very strange
on about day 5 of induction
and i find myself not hungry
i had an ommlette for breakfast (with mushrooms, cheese and bacon, SOOO good) it was rather large
this was at about 10:30 am
and i didn't feel hungry again till about 8:30 that night

usually i am always hungry, and would have eaten atleast another 2 meals within that time

but now
nothing
i eat a bit of food
it fills me up
and i am fine for a long while

is this normal?
or a sign of me doing something wrong?

jeanyyy Sun, Aug-31-03 01:08

It is perfectly normal, zcereal. When you are in ketosis, your appetite is suppressed, so don't worry - it's a good thing! However, you should try to eat something every 5-6 hours or so, just to keep your metabolism in high gear... Maybe try eating a bit smaller breakfast then a light lunch and a good dinner. And don't forget to drink your water :) It really does help!

adriana_s Sun, Aug-31-03 02:28

Same problem here. . I only ate twice today and it wasn't intentional. I just forgot. . . I remember reading in the book Dr. Atkins mentioning that you will "forget" when it's lunchtime. . when I read that I laughed and was kind of like "yeah RIGHT".. . . well low and behold. . I forgot about lunch today! haha. . . . it's great! If I am not hungry and I remember to eat I just open up a can of tuna and eat that real quick or I will eat a few hard boiled eggs. . . . that and two or three glasses of water and I'm good to go until dinner. . . this is so great! I can't imagine ever NOT eating this way again! Congrats on kicking the carb habit to you, also. . . .

Sela Sun, Aug-31-03 02:44

zcereal,

Same thing is happening with me..great isn't it?? :) I love the feeling of having control.

I think you should try to get some food inbetween those times though, even if its just something small...maybe make your omlette a little smaller in the morning(or whatever you have for breakfast), so you are able to eat something during the day :)

Smudgie Sun, Aug-31-03 03:19

It is perfectly normal not to be hungry when you're in ketosis, as has been said here. I know it's a great feeling to be in control and have no cravings, but somehow during this process it is essential to find balance. You don't have to go overboard, but try to get in the habit of eating eat three meals a day even if you have to plan them out. You need to do this to keep your blood sugar stable and your body functioning properly. Not eating enough on Atkins, can cause a slow in your weight loss just as easily as eating too much can on other diet plans.
Good luck!

zcereal Sun, Aug-31-03 09:58

cool
so it seems i succeeded in getting into ketosis
still not hungry right now, and i haven't ate since yesterday (it is 12 noon)
but i am going to eat
got 5 tasty looking spiced chicken drum sticks right here beside me
YUMMM