Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Grocery bills? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134025)

Carbcutter Sat, Aug-30-03 05:58

Grocery bills?

Has anyone noticed if their grocery bills have upped alarmingly or have they stayed pretty much the same since starting atkins mines doesnt seem to have been changed much but then again i'm sticking to pretty much the same stuff for the last 3 weeks maybe when i try and increase the recipes i have been talking about lately and then maybe i will see a difference in price.
Course as we Scots are all labelled Tight wads with our dosh this may be of some concern :lol: course Urban you bein an adopted Scot knows this isnt true about us being tight wads :p
And iburniekell you being a fully fledged Scot definately knows thats not troo. :yay:

pepsi max Sat, Aug-30-03 06:05

my bills have gone up due to all the fresh veggies and meat i buy but i think its worth it.

kellyuk Sat, Aug-30-03 06:28

My bills have gone up a bit but I try and counter that by buying what's on special offer, this week it's a third off pork steaks and deli ham so they're my staples for the week!

UrbanGypsy Sat, Aug-30-03 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbcutter
course Urban you bein an adopted Scot knows this isnt true about us being tight wads :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know nothing of the sort! I just know my adoptive Scotness means I'm as bad as the rest of you now! ;) Even managed to embarrass my (Scottish) fiance haggling over the price of a bike the other day! :lol:

But yeah, I noticed a big increase in our food budget when I first went on the diet... but then one thing I'd always loved about being vegetarian was how cheap vegetables were! I think also it was so liberating to be allowed to eat all the cheese and cream and so on that I liked, that I kind of ran wild for a bit!

Back on a budget again now though, and its not working out too badly. Gods bless Scotland for teaching me about checking every price tag before putting stuff in the basket, that's what I say! :yay: (if you look really closely you'll see that's got a little Saltire in its hand and is waving it like mad! :D)

Paulie-M Sun, Aug-31-03 15:39

I don't think that our bills have changed that much. We used to buy quite a lot of meat and veg before anyway. However, we also bought rice, pasta and potatoes to go with it :rolleyes:

My brother said he noticed an increase when he first started Atkins. This was probably because prior to doing it, he ate a lot of frozen meals rather than making things from scratch.

LittleAnne Mon, Sep-01-03 01:30

I also don't think my bills have increased significantly. I'm no longer buying manufactured foods or ready meals which are expensive. I'm a miser and so also look out for good deals on meat and veg in the supermarket. The best I've done so far is 24 chicken breasts for £9.

Vanilla Mon, Sep-01-03 03:30

I have been spending more. I was brought up to eat lots of carbs because they're cheap! I ate quite a lot of cheap spaghetti pre-Atkins, which cost hardly anything for a meal.

At the beginning, I helped myself to stick to the diet by buying more gourmet foods - things like nice cheeses, olives, etc. I've had to cut back a bit on that, so the food bills are getting closer to normal.

I've also noticed that it sometimes costs more to eat out. In an Italian restaurant I'll tend to have something like steak, rather than pizza or pasta, so it does cost more. I did have a pizza last night as I had someone round, but I just ate the topping - which is an expensive way to do it. Wouldn't it be great if we could persuade pizza takeaways to do an Atkins pizza - a great big box full of melted mozzarella, pepperoni, etc?