Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Night time hunger (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=133395)

GQed76 Wed, Aug-27-03 12:32

Night time hunger

I work out in the evemings often from 7-8 o clock at night

i then go home and eat dinner, but lately i am famished again by 11. Should I eat or go to bed and shut up

Natrushka Wed, Aug-27-03 12:48

Are you eating enough at dinner? What kind of workouts are you doing? What do your meals looks like during the day?

If you're truly hungry and you're eating adquate calories and protein during the day then you should eat.

It could be that something you're eating at dinner is triggering the hunger, though. It could be you're not getting enough food in throughout the day. It could be that you're working out too late in the day. And if you're lifting weights it could be that you're building muscle and doing that takes energy.

More info! :)

-Nat

yvonne326 Wed, Aug-27-03 13:14

Make sure:

that dinner consists of fat and protein (which keeps you satisfied longer than if you ate a salad with minute amount of protein).

Secondly, make sure you drink your water after dinner....keeps you satisfied also.

Thirdly, make sure that you are hungry and not just habitually looking for food (as I sometimes do)

and lastly, eat slowly...eating fast can make your mind think you need food when in fact you don't.

AND if all else fails....stay away from the kitchen! :exclm:

BelmontLil Wed, Aug-27-03 13:17

When your body is thirsty sometimes it tricks you into thinking you are hungry.

Try a bit more water during and after your workout.

It helped me!

madmike Wed, Aug-27-03 13:24

I find that if I exercise AFTER dinner, I am less hungry. Seems my metabolism is still cranking for several hours afterwards. You might try that if possible. Mike

MocaGyrl Wed, Aug-27-03 14:03

I hear ya GQ! I work out at 6:00, then eat dinner, & sometimes I'm feeling for a snack or something sweet around 9. I believe it's out of habit for me, bc I've always loved dessert ~1 hr after dinner. For me, I have to make sure I eat enough protein so I won't crave a snack.

Hilary M Wed, Aug-27-03 14:08

Try drinking a liter of water to fill your stomach or if you're truly hungry, have a small snack -- not something heavy that will sit in your stomach all night! I like an Italian Soda (made with seltzer, Da Vinci's and a little heavy cream) at night -- fills me up and the only calories are from the cream.

Or, since it's 11:00, you could always go to bed and forget the need to eat!

Sveinne Wed, Aug-27-03 14:45

My problem in the evening is that if I drink alot of water after 6pm I'm up every hour all night peeing!!! I try to drink all my water throughout the day, up until 6pm. We eat dinner about 7pm, and after that, I try to eat nothing. Sometimes it's not easy.

MocaGyrl Thu, Aug-28-03 11:07

Yea, :agree: I'm the same with drinking, too. I drink 10+ cups of water a day before 7:00, bc otherwise I'm too bloated overnight & up all night. :(

Jac74 Thu, Aug-28-03 11:16

How about n ounce or two of cream cheese sweetened with splenda/SF syrup. Eat it really slowly with a timy spoon (that's my trick anyway :) ) Hopefully the high fat content will stop thise hunger pangs.

beachmum Thu, Aug-28-03 12:46

I find a cup of hot green tea (with Splenda and cream) plus a pre-packaged piece of cheddar cheese, eaten slowly, gives me that extra oomph at the end of the evening when my tummy/mind thinks there should be something else to eat after dinner.

HTH