Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   i love fruit (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=132383)

teema001 Fri, Aug-22-03 13:13

i love fruit

Dear LC'ers,

I have read alot of information regarding this WOL and I am sure that it works. But I have a question for people who are on maintenance or who have passed the induction stage.

How much fruit do you find you can eat without gaining weight again? I mean I can't tell you how much I love fruit and the thought of having to give it up, just makes this WOL not a WOL for me.

I know that I do need to sacrifice to get where I want but fruit...I don't know if I can.

Any low carbing fruit lovers out there.....?

GREYTSCOT Fri, Aug-22-03 13:19

I have pretty much every other day about a pint of strawberries with heavy cream and about half a packet of blueberries (I think they're packed in pint containers too just smaller). I also eat lots of cantaloupe and honeydew cut into small pieces and loads of watermelon. I'm very slowly losing weight about 4 lbs per month. If you find that you MUST have loads of fruit then cut back on some other carbs OR increase your exercise regimen until you find a balance.

acipenser Fri, Aug-22-03 13:40

i am eating fruit about once a day and i am in the OWL (ongoing weight loss) stage of Atkins. i have not found a problem eating pretty much all fruits. i just make sure i only have one serving a day (ex. 1 apple, 1 peach, 1/4-1/2 cup of berries, 1/4 of a melon...) and i really limit the higher carb friuts to once every great once in a while.

doreen T Fri, Aug-22-03 14:15

There's a very informative article at the Atkins Center official website ... Moving Beyond Berries. It's a helpful guide for re-introducing fruit into your diet, how much and when, what are the better choices and which fruits to avoid.

I have fruit several times a week, but mostly stick to berries and maybe a kiwi or small peach now and then.

Doreen

tink79 Fri, Aug-22-03 14:33

Because of the high fiber count of some fruit, the carb count isn't as scary as it looks at first glance... I like to include some melon or berries here and there throughout the day on most days and generally see no odd fluctuation...

clary Fri, Aug-22-03 14:40

I used to make carrot/apple/orange juice and it's making me crazy not being able to have it. I have a huge pear on my tree that's just about ready and I just want to grab it and gooble it down. Also have grapes but I'm not real wild about them anyway. Bought 2 blueberry bushes year before last but they were a bad batch and died...of course...it's probably the best fruit I could have in the backyard right now. I'm still hangin on at the induction phase as I don't feel ready to move on yet...BUT...I sure can't wait to start adding in a few more things..... like itsy bitsy tiny weeny pieces of FRUIT.

vcrothb Fri, Aug-22-03 21:08

I am a fruit fly, always have been :)

Fruit is my candy on this WOE- I eat some every day, some days more than others. Like acipenser, I try to limit the amount, but in fruit season that somethimes doesn't work! I just accept that it might slow down my weight loss a little (though I have lost 31 lbs in 8 weeks, which I am definitely happy with). I figure if you're going to eat something sweet, it might as well be something good for you (fruits have tonnes of vitamins and phytonutrients).

Today at the store I bought a basket of Ontario peaches- I will limit myself to one a day for sure- but I figure we have all winter (6 months of it here at least!) not to eat so much fruit.

Smudgie Fri, Aug-22-03 21:32

I was never much of a fruit eater before Atkins. During OWL I added some of the lower GL fruits for more variety in my diet, and I really look forward to them now. I buy fresh frozen fruits to keep around for an afternoon snack. My favorites are melon balls with whipped cream, or bluberries mixed with plain yogurt.

luddybell Fri, Aug-22-03 22:10

OMG i adore fruit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its my favorite.. especially honey dew and melons YUM :)

Kathy54 Fri, Aug-22-03 22:26

Yep I'm 2 pounds from goal, am I eat 3 fruit a day, which is 1/3 cup of blueberries everyday ( have 30 #'s in the freezer), a peach or apricot, and melon1/2 cup, or a plum.

I agree yes it may slow my last 2 pounds, but hey, it's the season, and it's great for the bod!
But what I tell people when they ? the Atkins diet is I eat 3 fruit aday, most don't, and that is true! I have had 3 fruit aday long before I got to 2 pounds from goal.
Kathy