Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Cauliflower to the Rescue! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=132152)

orngepoppy Thu, Aug-21-03 15:56

Cauliflower to the Rescue!

I was having a really bad craving for something starchy the other night. Had already picked up some cauliflower and thought....hmmmm, it's sort of ricey when it's overcooked. So, I boiled it, drained it, threw parmesan cheese, basil, butter, pepper, and bacon into it, gave it a good stir and Voila! It was like mashed potatoes! My husband couldn't believe it was low carb and said it tasted better than potatoes!

I'm just so thrilled to make this discovery, and now I see from looking at some recipes, that it's already been discovered! Couldn't help tooting my own horn a bit, though!

Only thing was, I ate significantly more than a cup of this stuff. Dr. Atkins book said "If you are hungry, eat!" So I did. No weight gain either! This is so cool!

PS - I'm currently on Day 6 of Induction

GREYTSCOT Thu, Aug-21-03 16:00

I love cauliflower and I'm glad you tried mashing it with a bunch of yummy stuff. I've only ever had a cheese sauce and butter over it. I must give your version a try. Mind you, it gives me a lot of gas, I'd have to be careful not to eat more than a wee bit at a time!

orngepoppy Thu, Aug-21-03 16:05

LOL Thanks for sharing! Everyone at work who saw my bacon and cheese and butter laden dish was like, "heh, I thought you were on a diet" They were positively aghast when I told them it was cauliflower and bacon, cheese, and butter were my friends again!
Oh, I also put a bunch of freshly ground black pepper in it. No salt, though, because the cheese and bacon have plenty of that! I want to try it next with some roasted garlic added! I know it's wacky to be so thrilled about a certain food, but it was just so satisfying after so many days of tuna salad! LOL

amtuamor22 Thu, Aug-21-03 16:36

Whats the carb count for cauliflower?

orngepoppy Thu, Aug-21-03 16:45

4.11 per 100 grams, however much that is. I don't do much counting, but cauliflower is on the list for Induction, so I figure it's fine.

Do any of you weigh things by grams? I certainly hope I'm not supposed to be doing that!

Bumpy Thu, Aug-21-03 16:48

It's nice with some cream cheese mixed in with it as well, I've also heard of people grating cauli and using it as a rice substitute not tried this myself yet tho.

LadyBelle Thu, Aug-21-03 17:01

What I love doing is making pork fried rice with it. You grate the raw cauliflower using a chopper or food processor. Cook your meat and take it out of the pan. Then fry the cauliflower for a while. After a bit mix in your meat, other veggies, soy sauce, what ever you would normally put in chicken or pork fried rice.

NYorker Thu, Aug-21-03 17:04

I really don't like the taste of cooked cauliflower - does the faux rice taste of it?

RoseTattoo Thu, Aug-21-03 17:04

Have you tried the recipe on the Atkins website for cauliflower with Indian spices? It's divine. :)

manucpa Thu, Aug-21-03 18:35

It's also great if you bake it for 15 min after adding some grated cheese and sour cream . I also add garlic and bacon . Spinkle some of the grated cheese on top, parmesan works well.

Mossling Thu, Aug-21-03 19:33

I tried the cauliflower all mashed up with everything (except bacon) on/in it. We love it! In fact, DH says I should serve it to company and not say a WORD about low carb; it's just gourmet! LOL

Jude

Shazzer Thu, Aug-21-03 20:31

I must admit that prior to Atkins, I tried never to eat cauliflower. I think it is the smell of fresh cauliflower that bothered me. So I bought some frozen and wow, I was impressed with what you can do with it. Tonight I drizzled butter and some sour cream over my mashed califlower and it was yummy.

fishburg Fri, Aug-22-03 04:52

After reading this thread last night I ran to the freezer and found a long lost bag of cauliflower!!! Steam it, mashed it and then added some real Butter and Parmesan Cheese!!

Oh My - that was a treat!!!

orngepoppy Fri, Aug-22-03 05:24

Lady, I will try the pork fried rice you mentioned. Haven't had a pork chop in years, ya know, cuz it was "fatty" *sheesh* What a great idea!

RoseTattoo, I adore Indian spices and frequently make my own curry powders. I added curry to chicken salad y'day. Thanks so much for adding it to cauliflower idea - it's nice to have spicy foods to liven things up a bit!
And, Bumpy, I love the cream cheese idea, too, thanks!

Karla Fri, Aug-22-03 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngepoppy
Only thing was, I ate significantly more than a cup of this stuff. Dr. Atkins book said "If you are hungry, eat!" So I did. No weight gain either! This is so cool!

Not to worry; it's probably impossible to eat enough cauliflower to make you gain weight! :clap:

Karla