Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Got a question,, (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=132091)

gametest Thu, Aug-21-03 09:42

Got a question,,

Hello my name is Cody and i have been on the Atkins diet for a month now, i have lost 10 lbs. but a week and a half ago i stalled and cant seem to loose any more,, but my question is How can you be losing inches without losing weight? Also, i have had problems with my thyroid and i have all the symptoms of Hypo and my Endo is telling me im Hyper,, got any ideas of why this is? Thanks in advance,,,

melissasvh Thu, Aug-21-03 09:47

First, a stall is technically more than six weeks with no weight loss and no inches lost. Most people experience plateaus, where you won't lose for a week or longer. It's generally thought that the body is readjusting itself during these times to the changes in body composition.

You can loose inches but not pounds because you can gain muscle at the same time you loose fat. A pound of muscle is much more compact than a pound of fat, so you'll loose inches, but might not loose weight - or even gain weight, in some cases.

As far as hypo and hyperthyroid go, which symptoms are you experiencing?

gametest Thu, Aug-21-03 10:24

My symptoms are hard to lose weight, hair is very brittle and easily tangled, cant grow finger nails, severe monthly cramps, want to sleep all the time, extreme fatique, and im freezing to death,,lol Alot of times in the mornings ill take a hot shower just to get warm,,, through the summer i spend most of my day outside so everyone else can stay in and enjoy the air conditioner,, the only plus to that is during these summer months in the south ive gotten a good tan,,,lol But my Endo still sticks with im hyper instead of hypo,,, do you think i need to find a new doctor?

NickFender Thu, Aug-21-03 10:44

Hi:
Are you taking any nutritional supplements?

gametest Thu, Aug-21-03 10:48

Nope,, i guess i should be tho huh,,,lol

nawchem Thu, Aug-21-03 15:54

gametest
did your doctor do a blood test? It should be pretty clear from the test which one you are. Your symptoms sound very similar to mine when I was hypo.

JV1311 Thu, Aug-21-03 17:13

Yep, sounds like hypo to me...

AzureMoon Thu, Aug-21-03 17:24

Me too, Cody...

I had the same symptoms, Cody, and was hyperthyroid, Graves Disease actually. Doc put me on Tapazole and that took care of the thyroid problem, but I also put on 15 pounds. That was 5 years ago, before I started eating LC.

The thyroid eventually went back to the high end of normal and doc took me off Tapazole with no ill effects.

gametest Thu, Aug-21-03 17:57

Yep NawChem, he did the blood tests and said i was hyper,,

AzureMoon,, my Endo did the same, put me on Tapazole and i was so fatiqued i quit taking it, i think i may need a second opinion,, Thanks everyone for your responses.