Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I Was A Beleiver Till?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=131998)

thenry Wed, Aug-20-03 19:53

I Was A Beleiver Till??

i started atkins about 6 years ago and i got down to my lowest weight since high school at the weight of 119. Stayed on it for 6 months straight. I have been on and off it now for about 4 years and every time i go on it i cant loose. The first few times i lost quicky but seems like since i picked up the low carb diet routine just out of habit i can no longer lose at all. I blame it on wine yet i only drink on weekends little during the week and of course i have decreased by carb intake drastically daily to barely anything. I was to the point i had no energy to exercise. i was an avid workout person. Now guess what im to the point where im only eating just the protein 6 days a week and the 7th day i pig out on carbs. This means only eating once a day at dinner time and exercising minimal after getting home from work. I know this doesnt sound right, but i am on anti-depressants but the diet didnt work before i was on it after several attempts. So i think my body at this point is just accustom to the no carb thing. So you tell me does this mess things up after several attempts on just a low carb diet????? Ill let you now my outcome after i get on the scale. im a low weight junky and have not been able to lose since probably last winter if that. Im hoping my once a day eating works. I know it sounds terrible but im desperate. Living to long with flab. For now im trying to firm up which im good at. Thats alot easier than trying to lift weight on low carbs it just doesnt work! Help!

pippa26 Wed, Aug-20-03 20:13

thenry.
I am new here but like you not new to Atkins.
Here is my advice .
Now stay calm and take a deep breath it will work again. You are panicing and getting confused.
Please go back to your book, get the latest edition and pretend that you never read it .Now read from page one and start the regimen like a novice but not til you've read the whole thing.
You just need reminding of how and why it works.

Forget all the nonsense of one meal a day.
Go to the menus and stick to what is written so you don't have to make decisions until you get the feel of it again, and you will trust me.
This "diet" always works IF you follow it to the letter.
Don't worry, stay focused and let us know how you do in a week.

Rosebud Wed, Aug-20-03 20:31

Hi thenry,

Yes, Pippa has given you some great advice.

What you are doing is definitely slowing your metabolism, thus making it much more difficult to lose any "flab." You are technically not overweight at all - so your weight loss will in any event be slow. Slow is actually good, because it is more likely to stay off. ;)

However, eating one meal a day will certainly "mess you up," making it almost impossible to lose anything at all.

So please, do as Pippa suggests, reread your book, and follow it to a "T." Don't worry if you initally gain a little - it will probably be muscle. Do measure yourself, you may lose inches before you lose pounds. And isn't losing inches, and therefore flab, what you really want? ;)

All the best.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

GalacticGa Wed, Aug-20-03 21:12

Your body is confused. It thinks it's starving. Feed it lots of good protein, three times or more a day, and drink lots of water. You'll get there.

JV1311 Thu, Aug-21-03 03:58

I lift while on low carb. Other than the first 5-8 days of induction, it is very possible to lift, and lift heavy, while in ketosis. Don't believe the "you have no energy to lift on low carb" crap people say, that is just an excuse to binge on carb food IMO.

bkloots Fri, Aug-22-03 13:21

Listen to Pippa. You need veggies, water, good fats, and vitamins in addition to protein. And you need these things at regular intervals every day!

Read the book. Do the program. Best wishes!