Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Please HElp Me! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130632)

ladybelle2 Thu, Aug-14-03 21:40

Please HElp Me!

:read2: I need some basic rules- This is my second time on Atkins and I am really trying- about 6 days now so far- But I discovered my health food store- and the Atkins section in Walmart.....Are these shakes bad? what about the breakfast bars- ??? I bought a 14 day starter kit with all the Atkins-nutritional goodies-vitamins(Omega 3- the appetite suppresant-b12 complex-and another one) So I am starting my induction allllllll over-SOme one give me some tips on these shakes- I was going to do my first 2 weeks like this:
Breakfast-2 eggs bacon or sausage
Lunch Atkins Shake
Dinner- Griiled fish or steak-spinach or a ceasar salad and a diet coke to get me through the evening- I love Salmon-love it griiled-cooked in butter and onions-etc

Does this sound ok?? can I throw in a few blueberries once a week?? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel:

senimoni Thu, Aug-14-03 22:19

I cant' comment on too much, but I do know that the berries are a no-no on induction. They get added back eventually though!!

geo53562 Fri, Aug-15-03 00:47

I'd stick to the Induction food list in DANDR...in fact, I did during my 1st two weeks of Induction. You aren't going to find any berries there...they come later. As for Diet Coke/Coffee/other sources of caffeine, you will find a specific admonition against them. Many (not all) people fail to lose weight (or lose very slowly) when they are using caffeine. I personally did not want to risk having to repeat Induction becuz I chose to ignore the permitted foods list. Your choices are, as always, your own.

lkonzelman Fri, Aug-15-03 10:06

Keep a copy of these Induction allowed foods.

LadyBelle Fri, Aug-15-03 10:11

Reread the induction chapter in DANDR. For the first two weeks it is important to stick to only the foods on the acceptable list. You can also find the list online at the Atkins web site. If you can manage to make it the first few week without the shakes that can also help reduce the cravings. If you don't own the book, Walmart has them for only $6.

Next sign up for an account at www.fitday.com While you may not have time everyday to journal what you are eating, just doing it for a few days can often let you know what needs altered and what foods you can eat to get good results. It helps to point out the hidden carbs, such as in coffee and cream, plus it shows if you are getting adiquet protien and a good fat percentage. Most people find they do best when fat is 60-70% of the caloric intake. Remember Atkins is a high fat diet, not high protien.

Jannie Fri, Aug-15-03 10:42

:read2: Looks like you need to broaden your choices on veggies as well as protein dishes. I was able to use the bars-very sparingly, and only the Advantage Bars-with no consequences, so you could try that, but I only had the occasional slice of one on induction---then again, that's only for 2 weeks, then you can move on to OWL. I eat a normal-size portion of meat, seafood, chicken, turkey, eggs, whatever, and 2 servings of veggies for lunch and dinner. This can be a rather large meal, but is very low-carb, so I am very satisfied. I end it with some s/f jello (made with splenda) to satisfy my sweet tooth. Hope these ideas help! :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: