Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   confused (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130545)

seth Thu, Aug-14-03 14:49

confused

Hello,
please forgive my ignorance. i have been carbing down for a week, i work at whole foods in the meat dept so the diet can be beneficial, however, i'm aittle confused withthe labels. i was looking for a low carb bar and it said 3 grams of carbs, but when i looked behind in the ingredients it listed the carbs at 24 g. When you are low carbing, do you count your grams by the sugar, so if a product has no sugar, and lists 25 carbs, did i blow my whole days worth? i'm pretty confused, i have purchased dr. Atkins breading to fry fish, it list 5 carbs or so and 1 gram of sugar, how do you calculate please help!! thank you seth

SarahWeb Thu, Aug-14-03 15:16

in the UK we take the total carbs asd the whole amount. In the US they take the total carbs minus the fibre as the whole amount.

But to double check write down the nutritional info here and we can tell you

(even if its 23g though don't despair and give up! Heh I ate a whole cauliflower and busted mine to 70!!! :D - it happens when you are learning about these things)

Rosebud Thu, Aug-14-03 15:16

Hi Seth,

The missing carbs in the low carb bars are sugar alcohols. According to Dr Atkins sugar alcohols produce no insulin reaction, and therefore can pretty much be ignored.

Alas, for some folk, that is not so, and they stall when they eat food containing them. But for many others, there is no problem. It's very much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation.

How do you know if you'll be affected? The only way is to try them and see.

One more thing: sugar alcohols tend to also be laxatives and many folk (such as yours truly) avoid them for that reason.

If you go to "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen, you'll find some more sugar alcohol information. :)

As for the breading, if a product says 5g carbs, 1g sugar, you count the full 5 carbs. Fibre carbs can be subtracted, but some manufacturers have already subtracted them. :daze: Confusing? Definitely!

HTH

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

seth Thu, Aug-14-03 17:56

thank you for your responce rosebud, is there a way of telling if the manufacturer did indeed deduct the carbs? i bought a package of dr. atkins banana bread, he said 2 carbs per 3/4 inch slice, does that sound correct, you need to keep your carbs under 20 in induction right/ thank you for your patience

mem2 Thu, Aug-14-03 18:23

Look at total carbs on the label. Under that you will see fiber listed, sometimes sugars and sometimes sugar alcohols. The ones under should all add up to the total carbs. Dr. Atkins said we can subtract the fiber and the sugar alcohols. If the food processor subtracted them already it will usually be listed somewhere on the package as effective carbs. Hope this helps.

Quest Fri, Aug-15-03 09:10

Seth,
On induction you shouldn't be eating any bread products, not even Atkins' manufactured ones.