Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Lovely Man in Sainsburys (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130544)

Ebbie.B Thu, Aug-14-03 14:28

Lovely Man in Sainsburys

Just been shopping to find that i still couldn't get my macadamia nuts, been 2 weeks now grrrrrrrrrrr. Asked a lad to check out the back for me, he came back saying that they were out of stock but would be having delivery later this evening. Now i have been told this every time i have visited the store so i wasn't a happy bunny and asked him to get me a manager.
Explained this to the lovely store manager who was with a couple of men in suits (must be big bosses) and he appologised and told me that they had been having regular deliverys of them but they were flying off the shelves even though they had been increasing their order. I said it must be because a lot of shoppers are on the Atkins diet, to cut a long story short they were extremely interested in this and asked me loads of question about the diet and what types of food were allowed etc. Asked me what i thought of slim fast (tried not to laugh, honest!) and i told them very high carb, and nothing in that range would be suitable for LC etc (my store has had all slim fast products on sale for half price for over a month now). Told them of the products in America, stevia, Atkins products, LC foods, how their stores have a aisle just for LC products and i could just see the pound signs flashing in their eyes. Especially when i told them Atkins products were not available here and that the Atkins book is the #1 seller.
I really felt they were interested in this and was talking with them for about 20 minutes, he even took my name and address so he could send me some vouchers for my time, very nice man :D

Anyway i was thinking if we all contact our local supermarkets it might get them to catch on to the goldmine sooner, and we can have quick supermarket trips again, takes me forever reading all the labels. Especially when i still read the labels on stuff i know will be to high carb, sweets, cakes, biscuits LOL LOL i just can't help it!

pepsi max Thu, Aug-14-03 14:38

neither can i ebbie.i like to gasp in horror at what i used to eat!

jaqui Thu, Aug-14-03 14:45

good idea, if these supermarkets were to stop and think for one minute they would realise the revenue they are loosing out on. Im off shopping tommorow so will do the deed. :roll:

lburnikell Thu, Aug-14-03 15:26

Lets hope they do something about it Ebbie they would be fools not to britian has got the Atkins bug and it aint a fad or a passing craze, it a new way of life for so many, so come on you supermarket bosses get your finger out and get on the pulse and stock l-carb food on our shelves!!!!
Wouldnrt it be great to but atkins products at your local supermarket instead of on line!!

SarahWeb Thu, Aug-14-03 15:45

sorry but I just had to chuckl at the title of this thread!

Here I was envisagning (sp?) you making goo-goo eyes at a cute guy in Sainsburys... shall I buy a hat :D

sounds like a good plan I will try to do it at mine here - although still a bit shy about admiting it (haven't told a sole - well other than on here! :D)

I am sure I would want these products later on for now I am trying to get through induction without screwing up heh

lburnikell Thu, Aug-14-03 16:02

ps ebbie do you think you perswade them to stock nice men on their shelves?? but only if the come with a full garantee

IPR Thu, Aug-14-03 23:54

I'm more of a browser on this forum, but just wanted to say that I am so impressed with you gals/guys, keep pushing please.

I visted my family in Feb and when I went in the local Tesco's I got so annoyed, EVERYTHING was low-fat this, low-fat that. Signs saying "Treat yourself, low-fat something".

My Mum was diagnosed Type II diabetic last year, but won't listen to my suggestion of a low-carb diet, maybe if she sees LC foods in the supermarket she will start believing.

LittleAnne Fri, Aug-15-03 01:05

Good for you Ebbie.

I think store managers are very varied and was so glad to hear yours was interested. Keep us posted with any progress.

Mashemdu Fri, Aug-15-03 06:40

I think an LC dedicated aisle would be a great idea.... as long as they kept it well stocked. Nothing worse than having items out of stock when your choice is limited enough.

Also, it boggles me why some manufacturers are still not putting nutritional information on their products. If they did so we may find that there is more available than we first thought. I choose not to buy anything without a nutrition table, even though it could be LC friendly. Manufacturers could only benefit from providing this info, especially now they realise that LC routines such as the Atkins are not just fads.

Happy cooking!

Demi Fri, Aug-15-03 07:17

Ebbie - re your suggestion I'm off to see if I can find a lovely man myself in Sainsbury's tonight:D

Seriuosly, this is a very good idea - as is emailing and/or writing to all the major supermarkets in your area (or to their head offices).

Also, along these lines - I have noticed that Holland & Barrett are very helpful to low carbers - perhaps they can be persuaded to stock some lc products.

SunnyLady2 Fri, Aug-15-03 09:54

Hi

I emailed Sainsbury a week ago to ask, as Tesco were going to stock LC products, were they (well it was a bit longer than that!) still awaiting a response.
SL

LisaUK Fri, Aug-15-03 13:58

Tesco?? ARE THEY?? :D

lburnikell Fri, Aug-15-03 14:08

dont hold your breath!! i wonder if asda would cause they are part of the Wallmart family and Wallmart sell l-carb!!

SunnyLady2 Fri, Aug-15-03 14:27

Apparently next year Tesco is going to stock Atkins products at least. (Those Atkins things I have got off the net have been fairly horrid but do use them in emergency.) It just seemed to me if the market leader was going to do it, with the drop in some of the traditonal foods, and aren't 2,00,000 million in the UK supposed to be doing Atkins/low or reduced carbing, that all the supermarkets would eventually get to it. No harm in nudging them though! Sainsbury say on their web site they respond to each and every e-mail : not in my experience so far. If they do I will let you know
SL

SunnyLady2 Fri, Aug-15-03 14:31

Sorry should have read 2,000,000 (2 million) -SL