Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   School lunch ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130509)

want2bfit Thu, Aug-14-03 11:01

School lunch ideas

Hello everyone,

Everyone is always so helpful and encouraging, so I thought maybe someone could help. I need school lunch ideas for my children. My daughter is going to be a freshman and my son is going into 2nd grade. He also needs snacks. My daughter doesn't want to bring anything that may look embarrasing :blush: and my son is so fussy:rolleyes: . No vegtables, plain food. We are LCing as a family and don't want to use bread, even the lc kind, if we don't have to. Last year they had school lunch everyday before I realized what carbs do to you.

Any guidence would be greatly appreciated. Blessings, Maureen

jesdorka Thu, Aug-14-03 11:33

last year my then 15yr old granddaughter would take a salad in a container,with mayo also in a container everyday. it would vary from day to day between leftover chicken legs, wings, or chopped chicken to throw on the salad, cold hamburgers, cheddar cheese, hard boiled eggs, pepperoni, cheese&pepperoni sticks, celery pieces with SF peanut butter or cream cheese in a container and spread on the celery at lunch, usually a couple of bottles of water, sometimes a low carb protein shake (chocolate fudge is her favourite) SF jello in little cups. really anything that can be packed in a container with a plastic fork and spoon a good thermal lunch bag and an ice-pak. my granddaughter found many of her friends thought her lunches looked great. it takes a little planning but after a couple of weeks she was packing her own lunch with no problems. :agree:

dirty-c Mon, Aug-18-03 14:23

How about ideas for things that dont need refrigerated? (Or, will atleast still be safe to eat after 5hrs without refrigeration)? As a college student who has classes all day, I have to bring my lunch with me (keep it in my backpack). I don't have a refrigerator to keep it in once I get to campus and I don't have enough room in a backback for even a small cooler.

geo53562 Mon, Aug-18-03 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty-c
How about ideas for things that dont need refrigerated? (Or, will atleast still be safe to eat after 5hrs without refrigeration)? As a college student who has classes all day, I have to bring my lunch with me (keep it in my backpack). I don't have a refrigerator to keep it in once I get to campus and I don't have enough room in a backback for even a small cooler.

Any cooked meat will be fine for 5 hours, hard boiled eggs, cheese, lettuce in an air-tight container, salad dressing in an air-tight container. Actually, there's few things that won't survive 5 hours without refrigeration.