Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trying so hard! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=130219)

Jonnie Wed, Aug-13-03 05:47

Trying so hard!

I've been doing LC for a month now. I lost 10 pounds in the first eight days....then NOTHING! I stalled at 171 and it's been over three weeks. I'm on the WOL but average 1440 calories and 15 carbs a day (according to this nifty little gadget, a nutrtional counter, that I got off the Atkins site). I take a thyroid pill (low thyroid), vitamin supplements A, C, E & D, a multivitamin, Protonix (stomach still goes nuts without it), niacin and potassium. I started a stacker and a carb-cutter after a week of the stall. I've ordered some coconut oil and will start taking that as soon as it gets here. Pants still lack an inch before I can button them (so size hasn't changed either), I do a heavy 30 minute aerobic workout every day and I'm exhausted all the time.

Anybody have ANY SUGGESTIONS on why this fat loves me so much??? :cry:

I'll be back late tonight after classes to see what you guys think. Right now I'm just in a major slump emotionally over lack of progress. Thanks in advance for ANY insight.

Jonnie

Jonnie Wed, Aug-13-03 06:16

Oh yeah, forgot. I'm also drinking 80+ oz water a day and ketone strips are always showing moderate to high. Just don't understand it.

Natrushka Wed, Aug-13-03 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie
I started a stacker and a carb-cutter after a week of the stall. I've ordered some coconut oil and will start taking that as soon as it gets here. Pants still lack an inch before I can button them (so size hasn't changed either), I do a heavy 30 minute aerobic workout every day and I'm exhausted all the time.
Jonnie, sorry to hear about the frustrations! I can offer a little advice.

1) Stop the Stacker if it contains ephedra / ephedrine / ma huang. There's a long list of warnings on those and problems with your thyroid is one of the big ones. Get rid of the carb cutter - you're not eating enough when you LC for it do anything except make your wallet lighter. Those few carbs you are eating are OK.

2) If you're always tired and you're working out intensely it's possible you're not eating enough. It's common to lose a chuck of weight initially and 'stall' out for a few weeks. If you're eating too little then you may not come out of that stall. I would try increasing calories slightly and backing off on a few of those cardio sessions to see what happens.

Nat

plum Wed, Aug-13-03 06:41

dont lose heart Jonnie

post induction stall is so common as to be normal.

Just keep on with what youre doing.

One thing you may consider is upping cals and carbs just a little. I note youre on 15 carbs.... no harm doing 20 and it may help. Does me.

calories, again, I stall on too few. Some recommendations are 12x current weight in pounds. I believe Atkinscenter recommends 10 - 12x goal weight. So you could afford to eat more calories too. If youre exhausted all the time - I believe the extra cals and carbs are what you need. Honestly, LC works differently from low calorie and low fat !

Good luck.

Jonnie Thu, Aug-14-03 09:47

Thanks guys!!!

:yay:Had a breakthrough overnight!!!! Was only 3 pounds, but hey, it's 12 sticks of butter!!! lol I did get the coconut oil yesterday and had two helpings of it. It may have (though not likely) had something to do with it. Also, I upped my carbs to 20 yesterday and my calories to 1700. Who knows? Could have been any or all of the above. Whatever the reason, changing things around seems to have helped and if it continues to help, I'll be sure to post it here. Again, thanks so much for the advice and encouragement.

Jonnie

94513 Mon, Aug-18-03 19:47

3# gone!

Jonnie - found your thread and wanted to say I was happy to read about your current weightloss of 3#'s!

Good news!

potatofree Tue, Aug-19-03 14:18

<shrug> I actually GAINED weight when I tried the coconut oil. I've found that "tinkering" with the fat-to-protein ratio a bit can get me going again. More fat, less protein, and keep the carbs at about 20 is how I get going again, but I think everyone "runs" differently!

94513 Wed, Aug-20-03 09:57

potatofree

For a few with metabolic restistance it is like a chemistry experiment and each compontent must be correct for the formula to be successful.

In my case I lost nothing during the first two week of Induction. Confused and disheartened I starting asking for suggestions from the forum. During week two I cut out all sweetner because they can stall some people and added a fiber supplement. During week three I cut out cheese, bacon and sausage carefully watching my salt intake which could cause water retention. During week four I increased my water to 4 litres. Now almost finishing week five I drink 5 litres each day. I started July 10 and I have lost only 6.5 lbs. Bummer I know - I will just be a slow bloomer! :doah:

I am sure you will suceed. Best wishes

skeeweeaka Wed, Aug-20-03 19:42

Well if you are still having problems here is a link that might help you sort things out....

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/26-51503.html

As others have suggested, salt slows down ones metabolism....some people are cheese sensitive...some are sensitive to sweeteners...