Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Question about GREEN TEA (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128791)

zack Thu, Aug-07-03 09:32

Question about GREEN TEA

I have a question about the use of green tea, has anyone else tried it to help with their motabolizm? I have been having a couple of cups a day but I don't know if I should just drink it whenever I want it or do I need to drink it with my meals???? Any suggestions?

Zack

Natrushka Thu, Aug-07-03 09:47

Zack, Green Tea will indeed help raise metabolism - it's been proven. It will also help keep you healthy. GT lowers cholesterol, it's a powerful anti oxidant, anti arthritic, anti fungal and anti carcinogenic.

To get the metabolism boosting effect you do need to drink between 7 -10 cups a day, and that is of the caffinated variety. You should double that if you're using decaf (a lot of tea, I know). You can add splenda to your tea, or lemon if you like, but if you use milk it will negate a lot of the teas' benefitical properties.

If the idea of 10 cups of tea is too much for you, you can take the extract of the tea in pill form. 1 pill usually equals 7-10 cups, and the bonus is the extract doesn't have to be caffinated. You do have to ensure that the pills are standardized to 60% polyphenols, however.

There are many posts about the benefits of GT in the Nutrition / Supplements forum if you're interested.

Cheers,
Nat

Frederick Thu, Aug-07-03 09:48

Hi Zack,

I've been drinking green tea daily--chinese green tea, the strong bitter ones to be precise.

From what I've read, green tea is supposed to not only speed up metabolism, but also boasts a plethora of nutrients reputed to ward off various diseases, most notably coronary ones.

I drink tea liberally, and it has never stalled in any way. Anyway, the caffeine further helps mobilize the burning of fat cells more efficiently during vigorous cardio excercise.

In my view, drink up!

Best of luck,

Frederick

zack Thu, Aug-07-03 10:30

thanks

Thanks, I guess I will have to try the GT extract, after my last heart attack my doctor told me to stop drinking anything with caffine in it. I do really enjoy the flavor of the DeCaff GT that I have been drinking.

Zack

candyluver Thu, Aug-07-03 10:51

I drink green tea also. I buy the really good..loose leaf stuff from a place online. I usually have 2 cups a day..I don't drink coffee often.
The tea I buy is a Japanese green tea with a cherry blend..it's really good :)

fishburg Thu, Aug-07-03 16:45

Has anyone heard of or uses "Arizona Diet Green Tea"? It comes in a gallon container. My sister drinks it all the time with ice.

richsim Sat, Aug-09-03 11:28

Hi!

Oriental grocery stores often carry bottles of brewed green tea without sweetener from Japan. (In the Boston area, Super88 stores have several varieties.) It's preserved with a little vitamin C and is very refreshing as a cold drink in the summer.

- Rich

Pancho Thu, Aug-14-03 10:57

Fishburg: The Diet Arizona Green Tea that comes in a gallon is not only sweetened with Splenda, but also with honey. I'm not sure how much, but I do know it is in there. I checked out a smaller bottle of Arizona diet green tea and it was made with Aspartame. I have tried the Green tea made with Splenda and honey and it is really good, but I try to limit it. I am not doing Atkins, but am doing SugarBusters, but honey is high on the GI list and therefore a no-no, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Take care.

fishburg Thu, Aug-14-03 11:19

Thank You for the warning about the honey Pancho!!

I was just about to leave for LC Shopping in a few minutes and that was on my list!!!

Thanks Again!!

BeeDott Thu, Aug-14-03 13:54

These are the 2 places I get my green teas from

www.harney.com
www.peets.com

I love Jasmine green tea. It's expensive though to get the good stuff (ie $42 for 4 oz :cry: ). When I head to asia I usually try to buy loads of it.

KKNoCarbs Thu, Aug-14-03 16:51

I found some green tea extract pills at Walgreen's but the bottle states that it's only 50% standardized. Is this even worth taking??

Karen Lynn Sat, Aug-16-03 14:10

this is what i've purchased too, kknocarbs. I was wondering the same thing. I hope someone knows the answer to this!

Tanyaskees Sun, Aug-01-04 17:19

I just bought the Arizona green tea and love it. I did look at the bottle and it does have honey in it. I wonder how much...does anyone have any idea?

Tanya

Samasnier Sun, Aug-01-04 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKNoCarbs
I found some green tea extract pills at Walgreen's but the bottle states that it's only 50% standardized. Is this even worth taking??

Standardized herbal extracts simply mean that the known active components of the herb are isolated from the herb and concentrated to a guaranteed strength. Every single pill in the bottle is the same strength as all the others.

Non-standardized herbs will vary in effectiveness from one pill to the next. So, when buying herbs, it's best to look for standardized. All standardized herbal extracts will list a percentage, ie "ginko 24% flavoglycosides", and "milk thistle 80% silymarin".

Hope that helps! :)

green-tea Mon, Aug-02-04 08:04

I get mine at The Great Canadian Super Store here and it's the loose leaf Japanese type. I also have Korean green tea from Korea I bought when I was there last.
The teabag versions I've tried here don't seem to be green tea. As a reference, good green tea has a suttle fresh flavor, is very light green in colour and is never bitter. You shouldn't need sugar or milk. To get a good pot of tea using loose leaf, you should boil water and once it has boiled, wait a few minutes to get the temperature of the water down some to avoid bitterness. Steep for a minute or two and then pour the tea into another vessel, preferably warmed (just put some hot tap water in it while you are waiting) to fill your cup and refill as needed. This will give you uniform cups of tea. If you pour from the first pot directly into cups without removing the tea leaves, the tea ball or the tea bag, each cup will be stronger and more bitter. Enjoy