Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   My friend the salad-hater (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128537)

RosaAlta Wed, Aug-06-03 11:47

My friend the salad-hater

Hi everyone,
I'm on my 13th day of Atkins and loving it! My assistant at work has been impressed with my progress and she's almost ready to try it herself. (She's already ordered the book from Amazon.) Her problem: she hates salad. In fact, she hates most veggies "unless they're smothered in cheese or butter." (I told her that would be okay.)

Do you think she could have a successful induction eating 3 c of acceptable veggies per day instead of the traditional salad/veggie split? It seems like a reasonable compromise to me, but I'm still a newbie.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

etoiles Wed, Aug-06-03 11:50

I am a vegetarian low carber so I eat veggies alll the time and I do not follow the salad/veggie split rule and never did after the first two days and I don't think it has hurt my progress one bit!

As long as you keeep your carbs under 20 I would say to her enjoy her veggies smothered in cheese and butter!

There are things in the world more harmful than 3 C. of veggies a day! :p

kellyuk Wed, Aug-06-03 11:52

I'm another salad-hater and ate 3 cups of cooked veggies a day on Induction and lost well, I also do the butter and cheese on them too YUMMY

atiaran Wed, Aug-06-03 11:54

I think that should be fine. You can also tell her to start small on the salad, and work up to a larger one. Like have one leaf of lettuce and one slice of onion or tomato with her hamburger pattie, and then work up to a taco salad where most of it is ground beef and so on. That's how I did it and now I love the stuff!

drchickon Wed, Aug-06-03 11:57

When I started this, I was a total veggie HATER. It was torture to try to choke down any kinds of veggies. Now, I smother everything in butter and cheese and no problem!

Also, I find the veggies have started to grow on me because it is a nice cnahge of pace from some of the other foods I eat a lot...

Who would have ever guessed that I would actually CHOOSE to eat veggies??

Hilary M Wed, Aug-06-03 11:57

I used to hate salad too until I started this WOE. Now I load up my lettuce and tomatos with diced ham, shredded cheese, and full-fat ranch dressing and I'm shocked at how much I enjoy it!

As long as the carb counts for the three cups of veggies are included in the daily total, I think you'll be OK doing that.

RosaAlta Wed, Aug-06-03 13:40

Thanks everyone, for responding so quickly! I'll send her a link to this thread so she knows she's not alone. :)

LadyBelle Wed, Aug-06-03 15:10

I used to really hate salads. In fact I still hate iceburg lettuce. What I found though was darker salad greens were not only much healthier, but tasted better. I still don't like having a strait salad though. What I do is get bagged salad mixes, mix in protien or other goodies to make a chef salad, and dump on a favorite dressing. If you try to get a bite of meat or other goodie in with each bite of salad, it's alot more tolerable. I've also heard of a wilted salad recipe on here where they take and dump hot bacon grease over lettuce (never tried it though). Have her get more creative with her veggies. She may end up liking more then she relizes. Shredded cheese can go in a salad as well as on top of things, spinich can go into an omlette or a fritatta. Look at ethnic dishes for many mroe ideas. For some reasons American have very limited ideas on veggies, not only what kinds there are, but what to do with them.