Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   I can't make it to 20g of carbs. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128530)

ElisaM Wed, Aug-06-03 11:23

I can't make it to 20g of carbs.

I'm in induction phase but I can't seem to get 20g of carbs. Will my weight loss be slow than? Does the whole 20g of carbs have to come from veggies? I'm not a vegetable person so it is hard to really get those 20g from vegetables.

profmom Wed, Aug-06-03 11:43

I hear ya...

I have the same problem/question. I have had a serious appetite decrease since beginning 10 days ago, and sometimes just the thought of a salad totally skeeves me out. I can usually tolerate celery, but that is about it. I wonder if I'm not getting enough food for optimal weight loss. I haven't tried this Fitday thing everyone talks about yet. Maybe today I will. Hopefully someone can help us out with this question!

J.

alaskaman Wed, Aug-06-03 11:54

20 g carbs

You might be getting more than you think - there are some carbs in cream, nuts and cheese. And I don't think having LESS than 20g would slow your weight loss - I think he says somewhere that for some people more like 15 is necessary. And Dr Bernstein, author of a similar diet for diabetecs says he would recommend even less carbs except he thinks most people would be unwilling to have so few. I wouldn't worry about it, except that everybody, including Dr A tells us how good veggies are for us. You may change - I have. Before lc, never really liked any of them, but now have come to appreciate them as a nice side for the fatty meats. I eat more veggies now than anybody in my family. Well, not counting potatoes, which of course I do not do and they still do. but I now look forward to my broccoli (with lots of butter) or my fake potato salad made with cauliflower. It could happen to you, too. Bill

mkm Wed, Aug-06-03 15:15

I would suggest you start finding our which veggies you acutally can like. I think it will be very hard to stick to this WOE for the rest of your life unless you eat veggies. Unless you want to stay on <20 gram of carbs for the rest of your life...

Dube Wed, Aug-06-03 15:21

I'm with you on how to get to 20 carbs, though I love veggies, but induction limits you to 1 c/day and 2 c of salad. I can't figure out how to get most of the 20carbs out of veggies & salad with such limited amounts of them!!

Oh, well. I posted this question somewhere else, but l can't remember where and have wasted 45 mins looking for it!! I also have trouble getting fats,as in the past, I got my fats with carbs like potatoes. I really hate mayo, and have elminated dairy products trying to get into ketosis, and get losing...

mkm Wed, Aug-06-03 15:27

I have personally always wondered why there is a cup limit of low carb veggies during induction. I can see no point with it, as long as you count your carbs correctly and eat your fat. The only reason I may see, is that instead of eating veggies you have to eat fat and getting used to it - in contrast to the traditional low fat diets mosdt of us have been on. And I can admit never have been doing induction. Started out with Montignac and slowly converted to true low carb.

Fat Wed, Aug-06-03 16:44

Hello everyone. I do not know an answere to all your questions...but cheese is very good food on induction. Too much can cause a stall, I know that all too well. As far as veggies go, eat a lot of green veggies. It does not take a lot to reach your goal of 20 carbs when you eat other foods like one said..nuts is a good food.
For the fat, eat the fat on the meat, do not eat the leaner meats. Fat, like in butter is good....fried fatty steak, and chicken...Um.
Make sure you read your lables on everything. Hidden carbs are always lurking around. When you use a salad dressing there is fat in that, and sometimes hidden sugar, so watch out for that too.
Best of luck to you all.

alaskaman Wed, Aug-06-03 23:49

can't make it to 20

I don't think DR A ever quite explains why there's a cup limit on the veggies, salad, whatever. But Dr Bernstein does - he says that the mere bulk of high fiber veg. causes an insulin release. So he says that regardless of the actual carb content, we can consider that a cup of broccoli, salad, whatever, has the EFFECT of 6 gm carbs. This seems to be true for my diabetic metabolism, but YMMV. Bill

Karen Thu, Aug-07-03 00:23

The only foods that don't contain carbohydrates are muscle protein and fats. Everything else has carbs - shellfish, eggs, coffee, tea, dairy and vegetables. Putting a limit on vegetables makes it easy for the first two weeks. Low carbing is a huge learning curve. You're learning how to count carbs, going through detox and wondering how to say no to your mother's famous blueberry pie.

If you look at the choices, there are some that are higher in carbs than others. A salad doesn't mean only lettuce. What is 2 cups of lettuce? Usually under 2 grams. According to Dr. A., salad vegetables are also daikon, jicama, mushrooms and peppers. Allowed vegetables that are higher are Brussels sprouts, eggplant, onion, pumpkin, tomato and turnip. You can also eat avocadoes and olives. It's assumed that you are going to eat from a wide range of foods and not only eat iceberg lettuce and broccoli. :)

Karen