Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Bowel problems on Atkins? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126827)

shalizbet Wed, Jul-30-03 14:17

Bowel problems on Atkins?

Help! My 19 year old son began Atkins about a week ago and has been pretty happy on the diet, had minimal adjustment/withdrawal problems and has lost about 7 pounds. However, suddenly, about 5 days into the diet he began having the runs from about noon till 5:00 p.m. each day. He was making cheese a large part of his intake because it was one of the things on Induction that he likes a lot. He was trying several things to deal with the runs (besides running :lol: ) and one day quit eating cheese. That seems to have brought the bowel problems under control, but now he's feeling way more restricted on the diet. Anyone who is more Atkins savvy than I (I use the Zone but put him on Atkins because it's so simple) have any insights about this problem. Is it common to have bowel problems? Will appreciate any help or advice anyone has. Thanks.

JF3 Wed, Jul-30-03 14:21

Make sure he's not eating any "fake" chocolate containing sugar alcohols. Excessive consumption can cause major stomach disturbances.

Believe me, I know.

JF3

Debi Warne Wed, Jul-30-03 14:21

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips012.html

this may help

Fat Wed, Jul-30-03 14:26

When I first started Atkins, I also had the same problem. I was told that the body was getting rid of the bad carbs in the body....after a few days it went away by itself.

mle_ii Wed, Jul-30-03 14:31

Also, this seems counterintuitive, but perhaps adding some more fiber to his diet. I had the runs and started supplementing with fiber. 2 pills after breakfast and 2 after dinner. I'm using Citrucel, but I think that any will work.

When I went in to the Dr before I even started the plan I was diagnosed with IBS and he said to take fiber for it. Helps regulate the bowels.

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-30-03 14:32

Is he eating raw veggies now and wouldn't touch them before? If this is the case you can steam or cook them just a little first. It can also be a very good sign of a food intolerence. Have him start keeping track of what he eats and what seems to upset his tummy. For me it was dairy. Once I cut out the cheese and heavy cream the problem cleared and I lose weight much better. I made the mistake of having pizza toppings last night and was miserable with gas and a small amount of diareah all night last night.

shalizbet Wed, Jul-30-03 14:36

Hi, Fit and Trim, Debi, and JF, and everyone else! (my editing can't keep up with the number of respondents),
You "guys" are great! Thanks so much for the instant response. We literally got an answer for Jeff while he was sitting here near the computer with me! The link Debi gave was especially helpful and confirmed what Fit and Trim said. After reading, he felt much better about the whole thing, ate a cheese stick, and will see how things go. He also asked me to pass along his thanks to everyone, and I think I've persuaded him to join the forum and do his own posting so he can profit by the encouragement and fellowship!

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

mammoth Wed, Jul-30-03 14:46

Oh PLEASE...settle down all! I would cut out an eye to have the Sh**s! LOL! :)

More Fiber is needed here! It is very normal to have this "problem" especially in the first 2-3 weeks of Atkins. I thought of it as a "gift"! :spin:

Increase fiber....which will increase bulk in the abdomen and cause, well...stools to form. This will give him comfort.

You can use Flax Seeds (ground) or pysillium husks for this purpose.

Hope this helps and hope things WORK OUT! LOL!
Best wishes;
Happy Jake :)

Fat Wed, Jul-30-03 14:54

Happy Jack you are too funny....LOL I laugh almost everytime I read one of your post. What a great since of humor...keep it up.

Shalizbet...Tell your son this is what the forum is for....and welcome. It will be really nice to have him here....