Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Salad dressing during induction??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126807)

MrsTU Wed, Jul-30-03 12:57

Salad dressing during induction???

Can I use salad dressing during induction? If so, do y'all have any good recipes for salad dressing??

His,
MrsTU

cs_carver Wed, Jul-30-03 13:01

Yes, and I buy mine

Most salad dressing is pretty low-carb. Look at the labels. I buy more dressing now than I ever did--use the refridgerated kind on a lot of meat; the bottled kind from the aisle are good enough for lettuce.

Coriolis Wed, Jul-30-03 13:06

From the Atkin's Acceptable Food List
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

"For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine."

I have found many commercially available salad dressings with no more than 2g carb per 2TBSP serving, though do check the label to see how much of that 2g is sugar. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, for example, has 2g carbs, 1g sugar. Newman's Own Creamy Caesar dressing has 2g carbs and no sugar (at least that is listed).

KristyC Wed, Jul-30-03 13:11

I love Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar and any full fat bleu cheese dressing.

c_cat Wed, Jul-30-03 13:15

This is really a "read the label" situation.

It is such a joy to be (finally) looking at blue cheese dressing labels and making sure that there is not much carb, and plenty of fat. :)

I almost grabbed a Marie Callendar's Spinach dressing bottle and put it straight in my basket. Good thing I looked - over 10 g of sugar!! SCARYYY!!!

mle_ii Wed, Jul-30-03 14:01

Along with what was said, stay away from the diet/lo fat dressings. Most of these are higher in sugar. And they don't taste as good. :)

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-30-03 14:20

I used ranch for most of induction. I've been avoiding dairy so I switche dto just adding oils to my salad along with salt subs and pepper. I always put in a protien source of somekind because I'm not a big salad lover. Today I used 2 tsp of olive oil and 2 tsp of coconut oil. Alot of days I will just use olive oil, or mix sunflower or safflower. It's a good way to add fat, and not sugar or other things I want to avoid. For the protien part I usualy put in shreaded lunch meat, or at times I'll cube up left over meat or a chicken breast.

carissanbo Wed, Jul-30-03 17:48

I'm in Induction too and someone just gave me a great recipe for homemade dressing.

1/2 cup of mayo
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon vinegar (I used plain white vinegar)
1 teaspoon Worchester Sauce
Salt and pepper

Mix together and put in a container to leave in the fridge. It kind of taste like a honey mustard dressing. Instead of just pouring over the top of my salad, I mix it in really well with my lettuce. I don't think you use as much that way.

Birddog Wed, Jul-30-03 19:51

I use Hidden Valley Ranch. Yummy!

freckles Wed, Jul-30-03 22:14

Here's my favorite dressing since starting this woe:

(Garlic) Ranch Dressing
3/4 c. mayonaise
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 Tbl. chopped parsley
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
(1 clove garlic)

Put all in blender and mix thoroughly. Keeps in fridge at least a week, but usually doesn't last that long. I use it on much more than just salad and veggies...makes a good sauce for just about anything. Yummy!

The Garlic Ranch is the original recipe and I can't remember which website I got it off of. I omit the garlic clove (have never even tried it) and just call it Ranch Dressing. It's very inexpensive and very good!

By the way...all of these ingredients are "allowed" on induction. :D
:p

geo53562 Thu, Jul-31-03 01:18

If you like blue cheese, Marie's makes a very tasty 0-carb salad dressing that doubles as a burger topper...yummy!

paradise Thu, Jul-31-03 08:03

Yes, the full-fat dressings at the supermarket (check them for sugar) are allowed on Induction (how else can you eat all that salad?). I tried Walden Farms No-Carb blue cheese dressing and it was disgusting (too cloyingly sweet, since when is blue cheese dressing sweet?). Marie's blue cheese dressing in the refrigerated area of the produce section is excellent. Good luck on your LC journey!!!

okiebo Thu, Jul-31-03 08:15

Cardini's Caesar dressing is very, very good (restaurant-quality, I would say) and it falls within the carb limits.