Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   gross but necessary question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126778)

valkyrie9 Wed, Jul-30-03 09:11

gross but necessary question

if you are squeamish, skip this thread...how do you solve the problem of constipation and regularity while on atkins? i cannot, for the life of me, er, go. it's like i have no need to whatsoever. i've tried ground flax seed, psyllium husk, smooth move tea, docusate, even laxatives; i exercise 4x a week, eat more than 3 cups of veggies (including spinach, green beans, and broccoli every day), drink 6-9 liters of water, avoid caffeine, take my supplements, and i've even tried resorting to eating sugar alcohols because i heard they have a laxative effect. to give you an idea of how bad it is, i've er, gone, twice since starting atkins june 18. twice! and that was only with massive doses of laxatives that resulted in about 6 hours of pre-event pain. it was so bad i was in tears. i'm thinking about ditching atkins because i just can't take this anymore. any suggestions or am i doomed to an uncomfortable atkins life?

LCalamari Wed, Jul-30-03 09:18

I have the same problem as you and I have never been regular. I take a mild laxative twice a week and that helps me out. Seems like you have tried so many different things and I am sorry that you have had no results. A friend of mine was worse than me and she has been taking castor oil and that helps her out. she takes it once a week. You are probably in so much pain since it has been so long. If the laxatives don't work, ask your doctor and see if there is anything that he will recommend. Good Luck. I would hate to see you quit when you have come so far...

relliott1 Wed, Jul-30-03 09:29

I ordered some Flax O Meal, which has loads of fiber, and started eating it for breakfast 3 mornings a week. I have been very regular since I have added it to my diet.

KristyC Wed, Jul-30-03 09:47

I would ask a pharmacist or doctor. I have had to take Metamucil for it, even though it does have some Aspartame. You can use it 3 times a day until you "go".

Shannonp Wed, Jul-30-03 09:51

Eating those microwavable sausages makes me 'go' every time! Just thought I'd share my little private (shouldnt be posting this on the internet for all to see) secret!

Good luck!

hippygal Wed, Jul-30-03 10:01

Try Super Cleanse. It is a colon cleanser available at your health food store. Once your colon is clean you should become very regular considering that you are eating your veggies!

valkyrie9 Wed, Jul-30-03 10:02

thanks guys! i have actually been eating the ground flax meal that i bought. i make it into a kind of oatmeal with with, butter and some splenda. pretty good, and i used a good 3 tablespoons. still no luck with that, and it's all fiber so i don't get it.

i did try taking the metamucil capsules, since they don't have aspartame. but maybe i'll try the powder drink.

a coworker just now suggested cod liver oil capsules. i'm going to look into that too.

i'm so desperate that right now i am drinking a cup of decaf coffee, even though i *hate* coffee. but i remember, it used to do the trick. we'll see. thanks ladies, for all the advice!

amistad Wed, Jul-30-03 10:08

Val - when it is as bad as this you must go and see a doctor.

Good luck!

muddy Wed, Jul-30-03 10:12

Pardon me for being so personal but was it a problem before Atkins or only since. It can be a sign of underactive thyroid so is something you should investigate.

valkyrie9 Wed, Jul-30-03 10:22

muddy:

it's only been like this since atkins. pre-atkins i was fine. then again, i ate lots of fruit and veggies. but i've never in my life had this problem until atkins.

i'm seeing my endocrinologist tomorrow. she originally suggested a low carb plan to me, though she's not a huge atkins proponent. but i'll ask her about the problem. thing is, doctors are usually just so useless.

lclawyer Wed, Jul-30-03 11:32

I, unhealthily I'm sure, swear by Fleet's glycerine suppositories. They are a very small enema that will work within one minute. If you just want to go, and have tried everything else, use this.

Also know that the bulk of your stool will drastically diminish on Atkins, so you won't go as frequently or as voluminously.

valkyrie9 Wed, Jul-30-03 11:39

lclawyer...

last week when in the middle of my 6 hour pre-event painfest i called up a pharmacy and they recommended glycerin suppositories too. i think i may pick some up just for emergencies.

and, this is way more info than anyone wants to know, last time i, er, went, it was a lot. and very hard, like clay. i weighed myself before and after and i was two pounds lighter after. (i warned ya'll not to read this thread if you're squeamish!).

thanks for the tip though, i'll add glycerine suppositories to my ever growing collection of anti-constipation remedies.

(i can't believe i'm posting this stuff *online* for pete's sake. but you guys really are helpful, more so than any doctor.)

Hilary M Wed, Jul-30-03 12:01

Val, no need to be embarrassed about this type of subject. Heck, a few months ago I would have NEVER announced to the whole world what I weighed, and now here it is for all to see! We're all in the same boat, and a lot of us have had this problem, so don't be embarrassed!

LowKarbKK Wed, Jul-30-03 12:08

Hi Val,

I had a similar problem and decided to go the natural way. I take aloe vera oil capsules. (Natural laxative without the pain!) And I also take a stool softener.

This is the only thing about Atkins that I have not liked.

Best of luck to you!

Ltraci2 Wed, Jul-30-03 12:21

Hey, don't apologize! It is a part of life and a pretty important part too!
Keep in mind that you are causing a major upheaval in your body and the more remedys you throw at it, the long it may take to regulate. I'm not a big one on using aids, drugs or such, but there is certainly a time and place! I've been backed up before and bawling while trying to go, so I know where you are and am not making light of it.
Once it gets to the point of stuck is probably the problem. You need to work on the cause and not just solutions. :) You may need to take something daily for a while to keep things moving in the future. Right now it sounds like you just need some short term relief, but after that, try one thing at a time for at least a few days.

You are doing awesome on the weight loss - I haven't been as diligent the past 2 weeks and haven't been losing anymore. Heck, I've still completely changed how I eat and don't eat all the garbage anymore, you'd think I'd still be dropping a little!
Hang in there, we are all rooting/pushing for you! :)
Traci