Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Second day....Have a question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126254)

SusanC Mon, Jul-28-03 14:55

Second day....Have a question

Hi. I'm on Day 2 of the Atkin's Diet and have spent the better part of the last two days reading about it. I've tried this diet before and never last more than one week due to feeling extremely weak and tired. I see now that this means I simply need to eat additional carbs. What kind of "extra carbs" should I eat?

One of my problems with dieting on this, and any other diet I've tried, is the fact that I don't like salad. I don't like lettuce, tomato or anything else associated with salad. I see that this is a must (?) eat? Is there anything else I can substitute for salad?

I do eat cucumbers, that is just about the only salad-like ingredient. Would this be enough to count as salad?

Thanks for your help.

geo53562 Mon, Jul-28-03 16:03

Cucumbers are acceptable...slice up about a half a medium cuke and top it with mayo or Marie's blue cheese...yumm! Radishes, mushrooms and peppers are also fair game...nobody ever said salad had to have lettuce in it! Enjoy.

Lori H Mon, Jul-28-03 16:42

If you are like me, you may have some fatigue, nausea or headaches for the first week or so no matter what you eat (as long as you are doing a clean induction period.) It is your body detoxing from the sugar and caffine it is used to. It's rough but try to not cheat and just stick with it. You will be rewarded with less cravings, more energy and saying bye bye to some of those pesky little pounds. Hang in there and good luck!
Lori

BIZZYGIRL Mon, Jul-28-03 21:23

The first week is hard. The period where your body is giving up its carb dependancy can make you feel really bad. But by the end of the 2nd week I was feeling like myself again, only now with a bit more energy.

I am not much of a salad lover either. I enjoy a Chef salad the best. Little bit of salad, Whole lot of chicken, cheese, and bacon bits. Sometimes I put some various types of bell pepper, cucumber, and other crunchy (except carrots due to the sugars) stuff because it tastes good with the lower carb ranch and blue cheese dressings, probably because of the fact that those are the high fat ones.

I usually snack alot during my lunches, on chicken pieces, sausage pieces and steak pieces and exotic cheeses. I tend to eat spinach, and other dark green vegatables with my dinner instead of salad for lunch.

I tried to mix up my salad greens like Dr. Atkins said in the book, but I wasn't much happier with the new ones. Endive was just too bitter, and others just not appetizing.

I sympathize. Good Luck.

pre3teach Mon, Jul-28-03 22:55

I needed to add vitamins to my induction also. It really helps me with the energy! I stuck to the 20carbs and used calif. zucchinni etc as my veggies also.