Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Do you measure all your foods? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126183)

fishburg Mon, Jul-28-03 06:45

Do you measure all your foods?

The only foods I measure out is my powder shakes and hot breakfast cereals. Yet I keep hearing people measuring their salads, counting the blueberries, and weighing the cheese. I never measure or weight my foods - yet I do not go crazy (not even with salads - just a nice handful will do)(oh I do love my cheese :lol: ). Am I hurting my weight lost by not measuring?

How many of you count your blueberries, measure you green lettus leaves and weight your cheese? :roll:

Shadow01 Mon, Jul-28-03 06:53

I'm one who measures everything. It doesn't take long and keeps me honest. But I'm also the type to put "just a bit more" on my plate if I don't know precisely what it weighs. Portion control has never been easy for me. If you have no problem controlling portions, that's great. But even when I ease up on weighing proteins, I still weigh everything with carbs to make sure I'm not going over my limit. :)

Mellow Mon, Jul-28-03 07:32

Hi, I used to weigh everything at first. Now that I know what the right measurement of salad or whatever looks like on my plate, I don't bother with it any more for these certain items. I'm not so good at judging meat and cheese though, so I still weigh them.

kellyuk Mon, Jul-28-03 08:04

Not me, trying to figure out what a cup of each item was drove me round the bend! I figured that if this was to be a true WOL then there is no way that I'm going to be weighing portions forever.

hev Mon, Jul-28-03 08:56

I don't and have never weighed anything since I first started this WOE.
Kelly hit it on the nail for us non-weighers, I am not about to spend my valuable time weighing this and that, as long as I'm loosing it's alllll gooood. :thup:

jesdorka Mon, Jul-28-03 09:57

my reply is the same as mellow's--i did when i first started now i can mostly eyeball it.

LadyBelle Mon, Jul-28-03 11:03

About the only thing I use the scale for is meats, becaus eI have a hard time judging amounts on those. For salads I will just grab a handfull and make a guess at how much I have. For cooking I of course measure with measuring spoons or cups :) My yogurt I'll still measure, and I was blueberries, with strawberries though I can eyeball. I htink the measuring is good at first, but after a while you get to where you know how much something is. Cheese it oculd be important to measure if you are eating a ton. I was suprised at how large of a slice = 1oz, but how small of a cube :)

hysteria Mon, Jul-28-03 11:18

Nope - this is a WOL for me. Weighing stuff is too reminecent of the old low fat days.
Even though this may be slowing my weight loss, I'd rather loose slowly and eat unitl I am satisfied than to weigh every little thing and risk still being hungry.

jude Mon, Jul-28-03 11:29

Best purchase I've made in years was my cheap Walmart food scale. Seems my "eyeball" was giving me LESS than I was entltled to!

Can't say I've ever weighed lettuce, but that's probably the only thing I haven't.

judy

saltnpeppa Mon, Jul-28-03 13:18

I weigh everything. I love knowing what I'm eating so I can guage my progress. For example, if I stall, I know if it's becaise I've been consuming more or alternatively, added something new. I find it very helpful. the scale is right next to teh micro. it's no inconvenience at all.