Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I need a quick energy solution (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=124992)

CarolineB1 Wed, Jul-23-03 07:02

I need a quick energy solution

Ok, Ive been on and off this diet every 2-3 days since I started. (I know, I know, I'm a disaster!). The main reason is that I get so tired and lethargic and in turn that puts me in bad humour which in turn send me straight to the chocolate bars. I am going on holidays to Greece in 17days and am determined to stay on induction till then. Problem is, I also want to work out most days till then so I can in some way tone up and develop a "bikini body". So, is there any snack / food that is induction safe that I can eat before heading to the gym that will keep my energy levels up?

Ps: I should mention I hate cheese / butter so please dont suggest it - I aint ever eating it! :roll:

Hilary M Wed, Jul-23-03 07:47

If you've only stuck with Induction for 2-3 days at a time, you're sabotaging yourself! It takes your body that long to get used to it. I was terribly tired and lazy for the first 3 or 4 days, and I had headaches. But after that I got such a rush of energy (once my body got used to the new WOE) that I was sleeping less at night and STILL wasn't tired in the mornings! It's amazing. Try sticking with Induction for the full two weeks, and you should see a big energy burst after the first initial days.

hippygal Wed, Jul-23-03 08:42

Yeah Day 4 is when the energy starts flowing.
You need to stick it out!

Skamito Wed, Jul-23-03 08:49

I agree with the rest. After the first few days, you're home free!

You hate cheese? What a life. :)

Do you hate all cheese? Celery and cream cheese is a good snack, as are lunchmeats. Try turkey rolled up with lettuce and mayo. Egg, chicken, and tuna salads are great too.

One of the keys to induction is figuring out the things you love to eat and getting creative. I love that I can eat high fat foods (good meats, avocado, olive oil on veggies) and be healthy. Anyway, I wish you luck! :)

flutterbye Wed, Jul-23-03 09:02

Just hang in there for induction. Thats the toughest part. Your body is ridding itself of the sugars and you can get withdrawl symptoms like you mentioned. Tiredness, headaches, but this will pass and you'll have more enery then ever and feel good too. flutter

Shelley J Wed, Jul-23-03 09:17

yep that's why you are tired... yo yo-ing. I bet if you just stick it out, you will get your boost that you are seeking.

STAY AWAY FROM THE CHOCOLATE BARS!!! (repeat that to yourself over and over when you are craving one)

TammyD Wed, Jul-23-03 09:22

Hi Caroline,
Maybe your're not a disaster at all! If you like to work out and are doing induction levels for short periods of time...sounds to me like you might like the CKD forum in the exercise section of this website, there's a lot of discussion around cycling low carb/high fat with high carb/no fat and intense exercise...

Good luck with whatever you chose and have fun on your trip...

max Wed, Jul-23-03 13:48

This may not be the popular answer but I have such a hard time with the first few days of induction that I take a mild stimulant.

Right now I have the new Ephedra free Hydroxycut and I take 2 -4 per day depending on my energy level (recommendation is 6 - 9 per day).

After my body has adjusted I find I have so much energy, I dont need the stimulants any more.

asalvato Wed, Jul-23-03 15:31

I did my induction 2 weeks strickly by the book an I found that I was very tired for most of it. I did get more energy at the very end. Since induction, I feel great, have no carb cravings, and am extremely glad I decided to do Atkins. If this is the plan you want to use, you need to stick with it for the 2 week induction. If exercising for your vacation is the priority and you are too tired, life is going to be miserable. Perhaps you need to do something else until after you get back from vacation, then do Atkins right. I am sure you will find that you feel really good after 4 or possibly more days. While you are doing this, rest a lot and don't do any more than you must.