Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Thyroid Disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=124278)

Twister Sun, Jul-20-03 13:34

Just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

I recently went to the Doctor for a swollen ankle and while there she said that my thyroid felt enlarged. I had complained about not being able to go walking because I need to lose these 40lbs that crept on over the last 2 years. So the blood test results are in and she said that a normal range for TSH (throid stimulating hormone) is 5 and half and mine is 61! She said this means that my throid is very very underactive. So for the last 4 days I have been taking 0.05 mg of Synthroid and waiting for my appointment with and Endocronologist in a week. Is there anyone who has had experience with this and will I be able to lose these 40lbs? What questions should I be asking the Doctor when I see him? I have read so much on hypothyroidism and I just don't know where to start. Armour? B12? Low carb diet? I am terrified that I will gain more weight.

pattip Sat, Jul-26-03 18:08

I too, have an enlarged thyroid and am currently taking O.O5mg of synthroid. I went to doctor, he said goiter is getting smaller. It has been about a month or a little more. Increased my thyroid Rx to 0.75mg. I have managed to lose 10 lbs on atkins. It took a while, to loose it. More than a month. I started it about the same time I started the Synthroid. Hope this helps, patti

Atriana Sun, Jul-27-03 07:15

Start pushing for Armour on your first visit to the endo. Armour replaces ALL the thyroid hormones, synthroid just one. Check out the thyroid site on about.com. They have lots of info there. You can lose weight while being hypothyroid - I am proof of that - but the proper meds do help!

pattip Sun, Jul-27-03 14:26

Unless you have Hashimotos, I think that a "natural" product will not be tolorated by people with this Auto immune disease. At least that is my understanding. patti

Zephra Sun, Aug-03-03 11:47

!!!

Wow! 61?! I thought I was feeling bad at 11. You must feel like the walking dead. Poor thing. I have lost weight on Synthroid with Atkins. I just started 7 days ago but am down 6. It can be done.

anticarb12 Sun, Aug-10-03 16:56

I wonder as Atriana stated above how much easier it would have been for me to loose my weight if I were on Amour? I'm mean I've lost most of my weight I know but I've been kicking my ass. Eat almost no carbs and workout 6 days a week for 60 -90 min. If I slip, I start to gain. It's almost like being in prison. TSH= 2.82 T4=1.5 on .200 of synthroid. I'm going to try and get this looked at and changed and sugestions would be helpfull.

Thanks!

Jeanne Sch Wed, Aug-20-03 16:38

Hey AntiCarb:
I have the same problems you do (I'm waiting for my test results to see if I am low thyroid functioning).

I know that for women...they say the ideal range is 1.0 to 2.0

I also know there is spare little information about what men feel comfortable at but I wonder if it is lower than women (because you have more muscles and metabolism to feed).

Perhaps you should discuss with your doctor that you want to try to lower it to 1.0 to see how you feel.

CharlieMac Fri, Nov-12-04 01:36

Hyo throid

I have been dealing with hypo throid problems since my surgery in august of 2003. It is a trully rough experience, I am almost 20 this December and for the rest of my life I will be traped with this problem. I am taking synthroid 250mg along with alot of other calcium pills and magnetic pills. I did go on Atkins and lost weight but my doctor made me go off because of my calcium levels. No matter what for the rest of your life you will have to montor your weight especially if you do have the surgery. I went from a size 7 in August to a size 16 by December, but you have to displen your body and mind set.
I would make sure your doctor was highly trained in this field, because even though mine was there were still problems with the surgery and all of my calcium glands ended up coming out except one. It helps to have a doctor contect with you and who will minimize your scare. Also make sure to know all the side affects if or when you do have the surgery that way you wont be in shock to certain ways your body reacts, like with muscle cramps and spasms, etc...

patricia52 Fri, Nov-12-04 18:09

I've just started on Synthroid, and I find myself feeling worse, but that is apparently not unusual. Until they get the correct dosage you may feel worse before you feel better.
There's lots of information on the Thyroid thread here on the forum. Knowledge is power!

susan34 Mon, Nov-15-04 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephra
Wow! 61?! I thought I was feeling bad at 11. You must feel like the walking dead. Poor thing. I have lost weight on Synthroid with Atkins. I just started 7 days ago but am down 6. It can be done.

I've read that once it gets high the actual number doesn't matter too much. It goes up logarithmatically. So, while a 60 is worse off than a 6, they aren't 10times worse.

rosencooki Mon, Nov-15-04 19:54

mine was 146!!!!

I now take 200mcgs a day and have felt great ( have been taking meds for 15 years) this last time it was finallly stable enough not to raise the meds again....I have lost 32 pounds on atkins and have never felt better

Natrushka Tue, Nov-16-04 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosencooki
mine was 146!!!!

I now take 200mcgs a day and have felt great ( have been taking meds for 15 years) this last time it was finallly stable enough not to raise the meds again....I have lost 32 pounds on atkins and have never felt better

My TSH was 6.37 and I'm on the T4 equivalent of 214mcgs. Susan's right; TSH when it's that high, is only interesting because it's that high

Our of pure curiosity; what were your FTs?