Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Has anybody not lost much on induction... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123270)

tiredofWW Wed, Jul-16-03 12:51

Has anybody not lost much on induction...

and then gone on to kick butt? Induction hasn't done too much for me yet, but I'm still thinking it might kick in. Thanks!

AngieT Wed, Jul-16-03 15:24

Today was day 14 for me and I lost 1.5 pounds. I was disappointed too. I weighed myself several days ago and I had lost 4 pounds. I'm going to stay on induction. For me, I stayed at 20 carbs, but my calories were too high on several days. I ate too much cheese and thus too many calories. I also drank diet soda this last week. Another no no. I'll just see how things go for another week. However, I must cut back on cheese!!! Next Wednesday is my weigh in. Maybe we should compare notes. We weigh about the same and have the same goals. Maybe some of it is harder when you have less to lose. My family is going to Florida in October and I want to look better in a suit.

Angie

tiredofWW Thu, Jul-17-03 00:52

AngieT,

I would love to keep tabs on our successes together. I am still hoping that this is going to work for me. I feel like this is really something I can do for life. I have 5 more days left until the end of the first two weeks. I don't know how long I'll stay on induction. I haven't decided yet. We'll see how the first two weeks end up.

How many calories do you try to stay at?

Talk to you soon!

AngieT Thu, Jul-17-03 05:44

Hi-
Well, during the 1st week, I ate 1500-1600 calories per day. That is great for me. Then the second week, I ate probably 2100 calories a day. I used to eat several serving of fruit and oatmeal and low calorie bread everyday. Since induction, zero of these foods. Meat fills you up, but so does a big bowl of oatmeal. I find that meat, olive oil and cheese has more calories so I'm actually eating less food than before, but it has more caloires. I must be honest, I do tend to eat to much. If I'm bored, stressed or just like the food, I eat past satisfaction. This also adds on the calories. I also exercise on a regular basis. Sometimes, I think that I exercise too much. That is also why I'm on this diet or trying the Atkins lifestyle. I need to find a way of eating that I don't spend so much time at the gym to maintain my weight. My family is going on a mini vacation for a couple of nights starting today. We come back Saturday. Wish me luck in eating properly in restaurants. Hope we go to places that have eggs and steak!!! I to hear from you soon.
Angie

Paleoanth Thu, Jul-17-03 06:35

You only lose an average of 10% of what you need to lose in induction. I only lost 4 pounds. The weight loss has been slow, but steady for me. After induction, I would usually lose a pound or two one week then go a week with nothing, then another pound or two. In contrast, the closer I have gotten to goal, the more my weight fluctuates up and down. I was between 129-131 for about a month before it started moving down again.

tiredofWW Thu, Jul-17-03 09:03

Thanks again to everyone for all of the encouragement! It truly has made a big difference.

AngieT, have a great vacation! Steak and eggs aren't too hard to find. Here's hoping for an abundance of good choices. We'll have to exchange emails when you get back. Have fun!

Thanks to everyone!!!!

AngieT Mon, Jul-21-03 06:44

I'm back. Vacation was fun. We went to Door county. Lots of shopping, walking, biking and beach time. We ate out every meal. Yes, egg, hamburger, and meat were very easy to find. One day, we went to a restaurant that only had pancakes and french toast. I ate a side order of canadian bacon and hot tea. However, eating a hamburger with no bun or french fries left me hungry most meals. I had Atkin bars with me. I averaged 2 bars a days. My carbs were at 20 each day and I had 2000 or less calories a day. My bad day was yesterday. I had maybe 30 carbs, but probably 3000 calories. No working out at the gym either. My moment of truth will be Wednesday. It is my weigh in day. That is always scary for me. Hope to hear from you soon.

Angie

day966 Mon, Jul-21-03 06:54

hi,

i lost about 6 lbs on induction. i stayed on for about 2 months with no further weight loss. i'm going to move one to owl and see how it goes. i don't have much to lose, so i'm hoping that's why the slow weight loss. good luck on the scales angie.

gudjul Mon, Jul-21-03 18:26

Angie and all, I started LC Feb 1 03. So far Ive lost between 6 & 9 lbs. It fluctuates day to day. I know, shouldn't weigh myself that often. From my experience and what I've seen here, the less you have to lose the longer it takes to come off . Good Luck to all Hope the woosh fairy visits. Sue

SHEILABENT Tue, Jul-22-03 07:48

Are you in Ketosis all this time? How long can you stay in Ketosis? Does working out help burn fat faster while in Ketosis? This great!! Thanks for all the info

tracyw Tue, Jul-22-03 16:37

Hi everyone. I was just browsing around the forum today (as I do every day) and saw your posts. Angie, I, too, live in Milwaukee. Just thought I'd say hello. I think it's so cool that there are people in this forum from all over the world. Sometimes, though, it's cool to find someone right in your hometown!

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks for me. I haven't been weighing myself- just going by how I feel and my clothes. I didn't even weigh myself before I started. I kinda wish I had, now.

I have been telling myself that I have been on induction all this time- but I think I have strayed now and then. Not really outright cheats- just straying enough to NOT be on induction. So, today, I have started back on induction again and so far so good.

Anyway, this forum has helped me tremendously- I am totally addicted to it!!! I have definitely slimmed down in some pretty specific areas of my body. I know I will continue to do it until I am where I want to be (which is probably about 25-30 lbs lower than where I am now.)

Good low-carb thoughts to all!!

Tracy

tiredofWW Tue, Jul-22-03 18:42

I guess the slow loss is normal. Thanks for the replies day966, gudjul, and tracyw. I did end up making a comeback the last week and lost 2.4 pounds over the two week induction phase. I am happy with that. I definitely would rather eat this way than to eat low-fat.

Welcome back AngieT. Sounds like a lot of good eating on your trip! Good luck tomorrow on your day on reckoning. Who knows, maybe you will have lost. Sometimes our bodies like a splurge!

Let me know how it goes!

AngieT Wed, Jul-23-03 05:22

I'm depressed. I gained 1 pound. Thus, I've lost 1/2 pound in 3 weeks :cry: . Yes, I eat the Atkin bars, but I keep my calories at 2000 or under, my total carbs are 20, plus I exercise on a regular. Maybe some is water weight. Also, some pants that were getting tight fit much better. I'll keep on going. Maybe next week I'll have a swoosh.

sandylevit Wed, Jul-23-03 09:54

I can relate

I posted this elsewhere but I ahve been yoyoing and I try to keep
my calories to 1500/day and I have kept my carbs under 20. yes
I have a shake or bar a day, but I was losing before with those.

First week: 4 lbs down, then 1lb up for weigh in day
2nd week: 2 lbs down, so total of 6 on weight in day
3rd week, on weight in day I had gained those 2 lbs back, but
at the last minute. 2 days later... still at the same place.

I am trying to exercise in the am intead of the pm. I drink tons
of water. maybe salt caused water retention? not even that
time of month. I dont even feel like my clothes are getting so
much looser.

I am ready to give up, but dont want to. this up and down thing
is getting to me. if I was going down, even at a slow place that
would be better, or even staying the same.

Sandy

tiredofWW Wed, Jul-23-03 10:45

I can totally relate. My weight has never fluctuated this way before. In the the last two days, I'm up 2.2 pounds. I know it can't be true weight but it is still frustrating. When I have followed other weight loss plans, the weight consistently goes in the same direction. This is a lot of fluctuating! It makes me wonder if I'm really losing. I just took baseline measurements yesterday so I have that now to go on.

It's great to know that I could maintain eating this way, but I WANT TO LOSE!!!