Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Anyone interested in some friendly competition? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123207)

do_over Wed, Jul-16-03 08:14

Anyone interested in some friendly competition?

I need to get my butt in gear! I've been getting fatter and fatter by the day! Low carbing is the only thing that's ever worked for me (lost 75+ lbs on Atkins several years ago & gained it all back +)...

I can offer tons of experience to a new low-carber...in return I need someone with some drive and fire to stick to it! I feel inspired today but by this afternoon I could be saying "screw it" again.

I'd really like to meet up with some people who want to exchange food & exercise journals and keep each other in line. Competion may be a motivator as well.

If I can get a few people together looking to really inspire, compete, and hold each other accountable I think it would help...any takers? I've got a long road ahead of me!

Heather

motis Wed, Jul-16-03 08:20

Boy, have you ever come to the right place!! Everyone here will keep you in line and motivated. LOL. Congrats on making your way back to LCing. :)

~Angi~

saffron28 Wed, Jul-16-03 08:26

Count me in! I could use some help, and motivation myself. I have been doing this WOE for about three months, and find I am getin lax about doing things the way I should be. Perhaps we can keep each other motivated.

LCalamari Wed, Jul-16-03 08:30

yep, you sure have come to the right place. Its great here lots of motivation. you are right though competition is a great motivator. I am in my 4th week of induction and plan on remaining on induction for a while. I also was on Atkins last year, but went off or did maintenance while I was pregnant and now I am back to continue. I am very determined and I know I can do this and I know we all can do this!!!

max Wed, Jul-16-03 08:47

Are you sure you want a challenge? I've been leaving several posts over the last few days, I want to team up with someone who REALLY wants to kick butt!

Let's set a target and throw a prize in to sweeten the pot. We can get the winner a set of exercise tapes (I'm hankering after Winsor Pilates myself).

Are you with me?

saltnpeppa Wed, Jul-16-03 09:18

max,
I'm in
I want to lose 10 lbs in the next 3 weeks, aug 5. That's a challenge, but I'm up for it!

Sentoria Wed, Jul-16-03 10:10

Hey! Count me in! I'll be in Europe for the next 3 weeks and I know it won't be easy :rolleyes:

KristyC Wed, Jul-16-03 12:26

I'm in! We have about the same amount of weight to lose, so feel free to PM me and we can exchange emails, etc.! :)

do_over Wed, Jul-16-03 12:50

I'm pumped!

I'm so excited everyone is up for the challenge! Should we give a 3 week mini-goal and see who can lose the biggest percentage of weight? Obviously it's easier for someone w/ 100lbs to lose 10 than it is for someone who's 10 from their goal!

I'm up for the incintive of buying the winner a set of tapes or whatever...how do we work it out? Could we just ask each person who wants to compete to sign up & promise to send the winner $5 or something?? Each of us could afford the $5 probably and the winner could really rake it in! Of course we're on the honor system so I don't know how it works out exactly...do we trust everyone to tell the truth?

I'm planning on a walk and some free weights before days end...what's everyone else doing for exercise today?

Heh, I'm 2 meals in and doing fine...thanks for the inspiration guys!

Heather

kevidona Wed, Jul-16-03 13:05

I will gladly take the challenge too. I have some serious weight to lose and I have been doing this for almost 3 weeks now and I am very motivated. We are glad you came here. :yay: :yay: And if I can help you, just drop me a line, I will always help a fellow low carber

saltnpeppa Wed, Jul-16-03 13:10

I think that the % idea is a good one. I think it's probably better to do a non$ thing as that will discourage cheating (the really bad kind of cheating.. :)) but I don't know what other prizes there are. I didn't weight this am, but will tomorrow and use that as my beginning weight.

kish Wed, Jul-16-03 13:20

Great Idea. I'm interested. I need a push, because I've been getting lax. When do we start?

kellyuk Wed, Jul-16-03 13:29

I'm interested, how long, what are we aiming for etc?

If everyone has a PayPal account then we could send $5 each to the winner to get something LC such as fitness videos - who has more ideas?

sinnat Wed, Jul-16-03 13:40

Count me in!!! Just let me know how this is going to work, this will be great! I haven't lost anything in a few weeks and I'm really bummed out, this will be a great kick start!

Tannis

saltnpeppa Wed, Jul-16-03 13:53

I think that it would be great to make this a sticky thread at the top and also to make it a poll so we can easily count the players.

Let's start tomorrow with a weigh-in. No time better than the present. Let's run it 2 or 3 weeks. I like 3 weeks, as I said above. Then we can weigh in on Aug 6.

And I think that none of us shld update our profile after the game starts. That way when we all post out weights on the 6th, there's no pre-posting 'tweaking' :). I like the idea of % loss as I also said above.

As for the prize, let's assume tapes are $20, and divide that by the number of players. Though I still think non-monetary incentives are better, it would be hard to do online.

Let's go!