Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   losing lean body mass? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=122256)

caverjen Sat, Jul-12-03 06:48

losing lean body mass?

When I got my bodyfat tested about a month ago, it was 16.9%, and my weight was 127.4. This month it was 16.6% and weight 125.6. So if these measurements are correct (3-site skinfold test by the same operator), I have lost lean body mass. I thought I was eating plenty of protein - about 4oz of meat or equivalent three meals a day and 2oz for 3 or 4 snacks. I am breastfeeding but dd is almost 2 years old so does not rely on me for her primary source of nutrition. I am very dedicated to exercising and lift heavy weights for someone my size (bicep curl with 20# dumbells, for example). I recently received my shipment of protein powder blends from the protein factory and plan to use more of these when I work out. Any suggestions? I'll add that I can lose weight relatively easy with a little effort, but I have trouble building muscle, although I do better now that I am eating meat. Thanks in advance!

Jen

kmarie1351 Sat, Jul-12-03 07:08

I don't think that three tenths of one percent is much to worry about... it could be human error, water retention, time of the day, tom, etc.

ysabella Sat, Jul-12-03 22:00

don't fret

I think kmarie is right - your level of hydration can make a huge difference in those measurements, and whether you were measured before or after a workout, and stuff like that. It doesn't sound like you could be losing lean body mass.

caverjen Sun, Jul-13-03 16:19

clarification

I know my body fat % did not change significantly, but because my weight went down almost 2# I am concerned. According to the earlier reading I had about 106# of lean body mass. This month's reading puts me just shy of 105# lbm. If anything, as hard as I have been working, I would think I would have gained lbm. That is why I am confused. I hope you ladies are right and that it is just a measurement error. Next time I will be sure to have it measured AFTER instead of before TOM and see if that makes a difference.

Jen

Atkins05 Sun, Jul-13-03 16:46

Caverjen where are you in Alabama? I'm in (good ole) Huntsville :-)

Where are you getting these readings? Are you using a online source or do you have a more accurate way of testing your ibm?[SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=olive] :wiggle: :yay:

Atkins05 Sun, Jul-13-03 16:49

Never mind my post, I should have scrolled up ... the answers right there "skinfold" test....oops (sorry) grin

bevbme Sun, Jul-13-03 18:45

I would think the breast feeding would have something to do with the weight loss and the loss (if any ) of lean body mass.

Atkins does not recommend ketosis state for women who are breastfeeding.

I thought you had to have a 20% bfi to menstrate or conceive? Are you normally at 16?

caverjen Sun, Jul-13-03 19:09

bf & bf'ing

I conceived dd#2 when my bodyfat was 14%, not sure what it was with dd#1, but it certainly was less than 20%. While breastfeeding dd#1 my body fat got as low as 11% (which was too skinny). Never had a problem with my milk supply and had no trouble getting pregnant with dd#2. With my build 20% body fat looks dumpy rather than voluptuous. I am following the Schwarzbein Principle diet, which is not ketogenic (although I'm sure sometimes I slip into ketosis anyway). I eat close to 100g carbs/day.

Jen

caverjen Sun, Jul-13-03 19:16

VM,

Dh is paranoid about me posting location. I tried to private message you but it said your mailbox was full. :(

Jen

latoit Mon, Jul-14-03 07:33

atkinso5..I am also in huntsville :-)

NYfitnsgal Tue, Jul-15-03 05:52

caverjen,

I wouldn't worry about it. Definitely could have been the time of day you were tested, whether you were hydrated, and even the breastfeeding could have affected it some.

Good to hear you were able to conceive and breastfeed at such a low BF. Some people can't if it drops below 20%. You are definitely one of the lucky ones :)

Everyone here has given good advice, but I'd like to add one more thing, if you don't mind. You say you eat protein, it's too early in the morning for me to calculate the grams based on your post. Kids had me up last night :rolleyes: but the rule of thumb usually is .9g of protein multiplied by your body weight. so for you that would be .9 x 125.5 which is roughly 113g of protein per day. Now that that is the minimum intake of protein you should be consuming.

My protein intake is .9 x 120 which is 108g of protein per day, but on lifting days I consume close to 150g of protein. I get the extra protein from protein shakes.

Hope I was a little helpful :)

caverjen Tue, Jul-15-03 06:27

protein intake

Hey, I know how it is! Dd woke me up first at 3:30 and then at 5:30 to get up for the day. I calculated it out, and I do take in about 125g of protein a day, far more than Dr. Schwartzbein recommends, but I know how hungry I am when I try to cut back. According to the Zone diet, the formula for very active individuals is 0.9 x lean body mass, for elite athletes 1.0 x lean body mass. I would think bf'ing might bump me up to elite status, but that would be just 105g. Maybe I should experiment with more protein, though. I did just get in some good protein blends from the protein factory to make home made protein shakes.

Jen

NYfitnsgal Tue, Jul-15-03 11:13

It's amazing how the kids wake up with the birds. I long for the day when we can sleep in :)

125g of protein is good with the exercise you do. I know it's more than the plan you are on, but in order to maintain or build muscle you have to eat protein. Or you will lose LBM :cry:

Remember with all the calculators regarding protein, it is always the minimum you should be getting.

Cool on the protein shakes. I've been drinking the ready to drink EAS shakes. Was wondering if you could suggest a protein powder and what's your recipe. I'd love to make my own protein shakes.

TIA :)

Azlocarb Tue, Jul-15-03 14:12

Keep in mind even the most accurate %BF measurements in a dunk tank can be as much as 3% off. If yours varies by less then 1% it is well within the margin of error. Skin fold tests are even less accurate so I wouldn’t sweat it.

caverjen Tue, Jul-15-03 14:48

protein powders

I order my protein powders from The Protein Factory . You can customize your own blends and use whatever flavors or sweeteners that you want. The prices seem pretty reasonable for what you get. I ordered a pre-workout blend (banana), a post-workout blend (vanilla) and a night-time blend (chocolate). I sent them an e-mail with the formulas I planned to use and asked advice on optimizing them. My standard protein shake is 8oz unsweetened soymilk, 2T protein powder and a squirt of stevia. Sometimes I add fruit to my pre-workout shake and mix it in a blender. My usual bedtime snack is chocolate goo. See one of my recent journal entries for the recipe. My carb counts are totals, so it will be less if you subtract the fiber.

Jen