Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   fat, calorie, protein intake? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=122062)

valkyrie9 Fri, Jul-11-03 12:20

fat, calorie, protein intake?

i've heard most people say to get 70% fat. i can't seem to do that without going really high in calories (near the 3000 mark). and i'm wondering if i'm eating too much protein. it's usually around 40 %. any ideas on how i can increase fat and decrease protein? i pretty much eat the same thing, as my fitday journal shows. is there such a thing as too many calories? any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

KristyC Fri, Jul-11-03 12:36

I've heard some say here to eat more mayonnaise, butter, etc., to up your fat intake. Hope you can get some more suggestions. :)

saltnpeppa Fri, Jul-11-03 13:38

I use nuts, salad dressing, mayo oil and butter to boost that. I try to stay about 12-1500 cal / day (not counting exercise) (some days I'm working to get that many cal in -- yesterday at 5 pm I'd only had about 600 cal)!!

yvonne326 Fri, Jul-11-03 13:48

Most of my fat comes from the salad dressing, olive oil (cooking), nuts, seeds, avocado, cream, butter ... I usually range around 65%-70% daily which brings me the best results. I keep protein around 100 grams a day and carbs at 20-25 grams per day

SDgrandma Fri, Jul-11-03 14:11

I looked at your fitday. You are eating all low fat meats. Eat more beef, pork, bacon, sausage. Your protein is too high. It should be at 25 to 30%.

I eat about 1600 calories and have no problem getting 70% fat because I eat a lot of beef and pork.

Cream cheese also ups the fat plus the things already mentioned. Having a Mock Danish for breakfast instead of tuna or salmon will cut the protein and add fat.

valkyrie9 Fri, Jul-11-03 15:53

thanks for all the suggestions....

i'm a difficult case, because i'm such a picky eater. i don't think i can do the mock danish idea everyday. i need something portable and discreet, as i eat at work, a few hours after i wake up. plus, having something sweet everyday seems to defeat the purpose of trying to curb sweet cravings. with the tuna i can throw it in tupperware the night before and not worry about it. i was thinking of trying meatballs for breakfast next...
as for bacon and sausage...i really can't stomach them. plus, i am on induction, so i shouldn't be eating processed foods anyway. and they've never agreed with my stomach. every single time i eat bacon and sometimes sausage i get gas, bloating, and heartburn. i've never liked bacon. or eggs. or most sausage. *l*

i do cook everything with olive oil or sometimes butter. and i do actually eat pork. just not everyday. mostly because i can't figure out how to cook pork so that it isn't dry and tasteless.

thanks though. i'll try and modify things so that i get my fat/protein ratio better.

saltnpeppa Fri, Jul-11-03 17:15

as mentioned above, add guacamole/avocado and I forgot, I also add 4-5 olives to a salad.

RandiS Fri, Jul-11-03 17:59

I would agree that your protein is way too high, also your calories are a bit high also. Dr. Atkins says that there is no need to count calories, but that calories do count, so keep that in mind. I would suggest to try and lower yoru calories down to at least 2000 a day and keep your protein under 100 grams a day, too much protein can be stored as fat.

Samuel Fri, Jul-11-03 22:15

One time I made a list of foods with high fat/protein ratio. Here are the ones which came to the top of the list:

Heavy milk cream >100
Macademia nuts 11
Pecan nuts 7.3
Cream cheese,whipped 6
Other nuts 2:5
Atkins Ice cream 3.6
Blue cheese 1.6
Boiled eggs 1
Corned beef (canned) 0.5

I hope this can help you.